Involvement and hard work leads to success

Jessica Palacios is an education major. While at Seward, she has been very involved in the college. She was a member of the Student Government Association, the HALO president, was an academic mentor and was involved in Student Support Services. After graduating, she plans to transfer to West Texas A & M University. “I chose it because it’s a smaller school, and it feels homey,” Palacios said. “The staff is really nice and it reminds me of here. I’ve also had good contact with my advisers.” In five years, she hopes to be teaching and possibly coaching in a high school or middle school. She also plans to start working on her master’s degree. To get to this point she has received family support, especially from her mom and sister, and help from the staff and advisors here. “One of my most memorable moments was being nominated for homecoming queen with a lot of my friends,” Palacios said. Some advice she would give to other students is, “Never give up. There’s always someone out there to help you with your circumstances, especially here. Just keep looking.” Her favorite quote is a Latin proverb from Hannibal. “Aut viam inveniam aut fuciam,” which means “I’ll either find a way or make one.” Lizuly Monarrez is Palacios’ best friend. “I’ve known her since high school,” Monarrez said. “She is a really fun person and very spontaneous. She’s the best friend I could have and the kind of friend you want to keep.” Monarrez sees her as being a very successful teacher in the future. “I know her goals are to be a teacher, and I see her fulfilling that dream,” Rhonda Kinser, director of Student Support Services, said. “I think she’ll be a great teacher.” “She’s a fun person, very intelligent and creative,” Kinser said. “She’s a hard worker and a leader.”

Crusader photo/ Landry Mastellar Palacios shows off her pennant from West Texas A & M University, where she will transfer next year. She plans to be a middle school or high school teacher.
Crusader photo/ Landry Mastellar
Palacios shows off her pennant from West Texas A & M University, where she will transfer next year. She plans to be a middle school or high school teacher.