Snow cone artist recalls summer

Summer has many meanings depending on the person who is interpreting the season. This summer to me meant surviving the extreme heat that overtook our small town. I was fortunate enough to work at the Sno Shack. You would think that I kept nice and cool; actually it felt like I was in an oven all summer long. To cope with the heat, I ate many snow cones. It was one of the perks of my summer jobs that kept me going through the long hot days of summer. Other people were not as lucky as I. They were working eight hour shifts, which you can read about on page 10. While I was tasting different snow cone flavors, others chose to indulge their taste buds with pizza and other foods, munch on this article on page four. Since I worked this summer, I did not get the chance to go on a vacation, let alone fly out to the wonderful Hawaiian islands.You can read about the lucky student who enjoyed a much more mild climate than the one we were experiencing right here in our own backyard on page 11. I had the pleasure of working with a person who exposed me to the wonderful world of biking. It turns out that we have some bike enthusiasts here on campus as well. If you want to join in on the biking experience or simply read about the topic, turn to page five. Free time was very limited for me, but once in a while I would get the opportunity to check my Facebook and still attempt to live a normal life, unlike the people who spent their entire summer exploring the new, intriguing social website ‘Google +’ which you can read about on page 7. Others sat for countless hours in a nice, cool ventilated room relaxing while playing video games. On the other hand, while I was hard at work, there were people who did absolutely nothing. I guess they chose to follow the example that Bruno Mars set with his hit song “Lazy Day.” Find details on page 12. One day while I was at work, I had one of my customers ask me if he could plank on top of the Sno Shack. I was a bit confused, but then realized what he was asking. Planking became the “cool” past time of the summer, and if you want to find out more about it and the other crazy fads that ensued the planking craze, turn to page 16. Information about the Planking Contest the Crusader is sponsoring is also found on this page. As summer vacation came to a close and fall classes began, Seward County Community College started off the new semester with Welcome Week. Welcome Week was the perfect end to a hot summer deprived of water. Welcome Week sponsored water games and an ice cream social to cool off students that were staring the year. Turn to pages 14 and 15 to see more photos of Welcome Week activities. More photos are on the Crusader News facebook page. We end the hot summer and heat up for a new semester ready to enjoy everything that Seward has to offer.

Heidy Molina makes a snow cone at the Sno Shack, a job she worked all summer.