Feather hair extensions ruffle students

kristencampbell

A prominent new trend has appeared on campus: feather hair extensions. Thanks to the variety of styles available, the extensions are widely appealing. Thin and natural colored feathers add a sleek touch of texture to hair, while large, boldly colored feathers can dramatically contrast and result in an eye catching effect. Feather extensions are also good for those who don’t like to commit to a hairstyle; though the feathers can stay in hair for three weeks at a time before they need to be reattached, they can easily be removed in minutes in case of a change of heart. The feathers can be shampooed and conditioned just like regular hair and they can even be curled, although wearers are advised to be careful when combing out their hair. Sheila Scheib, cosmetology instructor and coordinator at Seward County Community College, said that she believes the feather hair extensions boomed in popularity once Aerosmith front man Steven Tyler was seen wearing them on American Idol. However, Scheib noted that they seem to be most popular with girls between the ages of 10 and 20. “I think they’re cool,” said Seward student Laura Garcia. “They look different. I like the striped ones, too.” Freshman Edgar Perez agreed, commenting about how he thought the feather extensions looked good. However, when asked if he had ever thought about taking a leaf out of Steven Tyler’s book and getting his own feather extensions, he answered with, “No. Not at all.” Moments later, he shrugged, saying he might consider it, but only if he had dreadlocks. Not everyone is a fan of the feather extensions. PETA is against roosters raised specifically for the purpose of being killed for their feathers. An unlikely group has found themselves affected by the trend, too: fishermen. Many fishermen use the long saddle feathers found on roosters to make lures. With the sudden demand for these feathers, they’ve become scarce and expensive. The cosmetology department at Seward County Community College sells feather extensions for $10 per feather, although supply is quickly running out as this trend continues to take flight into the fall season.