‘An Inspector Calls’ to be performed

aninspectorcalls

“An Inspector Calls,” a three-piece drama set in the year 1912, was first performed in 1945. Now, nearly six decades later, it is being performed on campus. The first performance will be at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 6. Tickets are available in the humanities office, and admission is free to students with a valid student ID. Having wanted to do this play for a long time, director Alison Chambers feels that now is an appropriate time for the play to be performed. “It’s finally the right time,” Chambers said. “The Titanic sank nearly 100 years ago and we’ve come so far. Or have we? It’s time to examine that.” Set in a fictional English town, the play takes place in the home of a sophisticated family known as the Birlings. A mysterious inspector who refers to himself as Goole, arrives at the Birling household, and questions them about the suicide of a young working girl. Family members have their lives examined and revealed by the strange inspector. But who is really to blame for the death of the young woman? Is it the Birlings, the inspector, or the Capitalist society in which they lived? With a twisted surprise ending and hidden message, “An Inspector Calls” is designed to keep the audience on the edge of their seats. The premiere of the production is at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 6 , with additional performances Oct. 7 and 8 at 7:30 p.m. Taking into consideration that there is more than one showing, the keep details of the play disclosed until the final performance. For questions or ticket information, see Alison Chambers. ­­­