Hispanic Heritage Month showcases college cultures

As part of the National Heritage Month Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, Seward County Community College/Area Technical School will sponsor events from lollipop hunts and jalapeño eating contests to a movie about the civil rights activist and labor organizer Cesar Chavez, and even a fiesta and a mariachi band. With a large percentage of the student body at SCCC/ATS coming from Hispanic backgrounds, the national event seemed a good fit to college organizers. “National Hispanic Heritage Month is not just a school wide thinking, it’s a national month, and we wanted our campus to take part in it,” said Celeste Donovan, dean of student services. The month showcases the histories, cultures and contributions of American citizens whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America. Student Life will also be involved in the activities planned for Seward, and Wade Lyon, director of Student Life and Leadership, will organize some of the events, including what is being called the Sweet Celebration Search. One thousand lollipops wrapped with a Hispanic Heritage Month logo will be hidden all over campus. “Students will go around finding these lollipops that will have a logo printed on them,” Donovan said. “The person who collects the most wrappers will win a cash prize.” Those who find the lollipops can eat them, and then take the wrapper to Lyon in his office at SU118 in the student union. Awards will be given to those collecting the most wrappers, $100 for first place, $50 for second place and $25 for third place. Competitions for money heat up with a jalapeño eating contest at 12:30 p.m. Prizes for winners are also $100 for first; $50, second; and $25, third.

All contestants will need to pre-register if they want to participate. The first student that eats all of the 20 jalapeños, or the student that eats the most jalapeños in one minute will be declared the winner. To help cool down burning taste buds fried ice cream will also be served during the jalapeño eating contest located in the entry area west of the student union. The Hispanic heritage will also be incorporated by having departments cover Hispanic based themes in their classes and lectures. The cafeteria will also try to join the activities by including Hispanic heritage in their meals. If students prefer to watch a movie, there will be a movie night in 214 E/W on Sept 24 at 5 p.m. based on the biography of Cesar Chavez. All month long there will also be displays in the Student Union and in the library featuring famous Hispanic Authors. The final event will be Fiesta Fun in the Student Living Center. There will be chips and salsa, mock margaritas, and snow cones to end the month long celebration of the Hispanic heritage. All students are welcome to participate in all the events. For photos of the events throughout the month check out our page at facebook.com/crusadernews.