Phi Theta Kappa plans food drive

Phi Theta Kappa at SCCC/ATS has been involving the community in Liberal through community service projects, such as highway clean up and a Thanksgiving food drive.

Highway 54 clean-up project

As a part of Adopt-a-Highway Program, highway clean-up was carried out on Sunday, Nov 9. The 12 members of PTK and Debbie Stafford, advisor of PTK, participated in cleaning a twomile stretch of Highway 54 they are responsible for keeping clean.

They work on this project once a semester, and they find and pick up unique stuff every time. An animal skeleton was found this time, while another semester, a live mouse in a can was found. At that time, students brought it back and eventually kept it as a pet, according to Stafford.

Founder’s Day Celebration

Phi Theta Kappa at SCCC/ATS is to celebrate PTK Founder’s Day at noon -2 p.m. Nov. 19 in the student union. This celebration provides the opportunity to get to know about Phi Theta Kappa history. The event is open for everyone, and free pizza from Pizza Hut will be served on a first come, first served basis.

Food Drive

Phi Theta Kappa is going to host a Thanksgiving Food Drive 2-4 p.m., on Sunday, Nov 23. The members of PTK will divide into several groups and participate in a scavenger hunt to gather food for serving Thanksgiving meals to families in needed. The members collect food items that are listed by going around to Liberal.

Last year, the students collected enough food items to have 12 baskets more than they expected. Therefore, they were able to provide each family with at least two bags of extra food in addition to the Thanksgiving meal.

According to Stafford, the Thanksgiving Food Drive is a fun and friendly competition. “We have donors who provide turkeys, potatoes, and rolls for Thanksgiving meal,” she said. “ Since the PTK members worked out very well last year, we will make 15 baskets for families this year.”

Book Drive

Phi Theta Kappa plans to take a new book drive project for the next semester, collecting books through donations from schools.