Democratic platform didn’t need change

There were 4,543 words in the constitution when it was first ratified in 1,787. The country’s most important document does not contain the word God, and people do not bicker or question it. So why is it that when a political party does not refer to God directly in a platform a group of people suddenly throw a fit. This nation’s foundation is not based on one entity, but it is based on freedoms and rights that are given to all Americans. The First Amendment of the constitution states the following: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” What rights the First Amendment gives to all Americans are the freedoms of petition, press, assembly, speech and religion. People are allowed to worship any religion that they see fit, and that makes this country great. Laws cannot interfere with what people choose to worship. The democratic party refrained itself from using the word God in order to not alienate those who do not worship a monotheistic religion, a religion that only believes in one creator or almighty being. Yes, a majority of Americans do believe in god. But just because of majority of us believe in something does that mean we can reject and forget about those who do not? The democratic party has a broad base, and it is difficult to generalize the ideas of many different people into one platform. That does not mean the party is only made up of people who are secular, there are many different faiths in the democratic party. The separation of church and state is pretty important in the United States, and I think that may have the been the point the democrats were trying to get across before being pushed into amending the platform. The country was founded on the principle of the separation of church and state to prevent acts such as those that had occurred in Europe before the U.S. was founded. Around 300 years ago Europe was a theocratic mess with churches and kings controlling the governments which lead to the prosecution and killing of groups. There is a reason the First Amendment is the first, the founders did not want those events to occur in America, and the founders wanted people to worship whatever people choose without fear. The democratic platform mentioned faith before it was reformed. In the past it reads, “Faith has always been a central part of the American story, and it has been a driving force of progress and justice throughout our history. We know that our nation, our communities, and our lives are made vastly stronger and richer by faith and the countless acts of justice and mercy it inspires.” The words god and faith can easily be interchanged. That passage still show that the democrats cared about faith and religion in America, they just didn’t want to alienate any people in their base. My point is people should analyze what the country is really built on and what the founders intended concerning religion. Thinking critically about politics and how they affect you and others is what people need to be doing this election. ‘No man complains of his neighbor for ill management of his affairs, for an error in sowing his land, or marrying his daughter, for consuming his substance in taverns … in all these he has liberty; but if he does not frequent the church, or then conform in ceremonies, there is an immediate uproar.’ – Thomas Jefferson.