All-America team recognizes Lady Saints

The Lady Saints basketball team finished the season 21-11 after Cowley defeated them at the Jayhawk West Conference and Region VI Playoff in Wichita. But honors have come in since then.

Freshman Mariah Lee and Ashlynn Knoll were named Honorable Mention All-American by the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association. Both were chosen for the NJCAA All-Region VI Team.

Knoll was named second team while Lee was named to the Honorable Mention list. “The award gave me the motivation for next year to be a great player,” said freshman Mariah Lee. “It was an honor.”

With encouragement from her coaches and her father, Lee thanked God first of all for getting this award. Lee made a goal to finish off the school year off great and to work harder in basketball next year. Lee said she chose Seward to get away form home in Houston Texas. “So I can be focused,” Lee said. Lee also said she fell in love with the coaches and the enviroment on her first visit to the college. Lee had played basketball and boxing in high school and plans on attending a four-year school after Seward.

“It was on my goal list but I was not expecting it,” freshman Ashlynn Knoll said of her honors. She has been playing basketball since she was in the second grade. She said her friends, and most of all her teammates, gave her the most encouragement during the season. “We had some ups and downs,” Knoll said. “We expected to go further but it didn’t happen and that’s just what makes us work harder for next year.” Knoll’s goal for next year is to win Nationals with the Seward Lady Saints. Knoll is also waiting to see what opportunities open up for her as she enters her sophomore year.