Saints drop two to Clarendon, still in first in Jayhawk West

Crusader photo/Will Rector Left fielder Luke Campbell connects on a pitch for a homerun off of a Clarendon pitcher on Wednesday. Campbell was one for three in game two of the doubleheader and his solo homerun in the fourth inning was one of the few bright spots for the Saints.
Crusader photo/Will Rector
Left fielder Luke Campbell connects on a pitch for a homerun off of a Clarendon pitcher on Wednesday. Campbell was one for three in game two of the doubleheader and his solo homerun in the fourth inning was one of the few bright spots for the Saints.

The Seward County Saints baseball team dropped two games to No. 19 Clarendon on Wednesday 9-2 and 9-3 at Brent Gould Field. A combination of poor pitching and poor at-bats proved to be detrimental to the Saints in the doubleheader. The Saints sent Hayden Holub to the hill to start game one for them and started good as he had a 1-2-3 first inning. Clarendon put a run on the board in the second inning to give the Bulldogs a 1-0 lead over the Saints. The Saints answered in the bottom of the third with a run of their own after Kelby Tomlinson led off the inning with a single to left field and was able to get into scoring position on an error. Josh Dawson hit a long fly ball to left field that was deep enough to score Tomlinson evening the score at one apiece. Clarendon blew the doors off the Saints in the fourth inning after they were able to score five runs in the inning as they batted through the lineup and ended Holub’s day as he was replaced with Bryce Ruff. Three of the five runs for Clarendon came off of a homerun from Jase Morgan. Ty Jacobs lead off the fourth inning for the Saints with a homerun of his own, but that would be the last of the offense that Seward could muster as they were unable to score off of five hits in the three remaining innings. Morgan added another two-run blast in the sixth to bring the final score to 9-2. Hoping for a better result in game two, the Saints took the field with Jared Wagner on the hill and Clarendon got to work quickly by putting up two runs in the top of the first. Wagner was able to get out of the inning without giving up any more runs. Clarendon would go on to add five more runs in the next two innings to pull ahead to a 7-0 lead. The Saints were held scoreless through the first three innings despite managing three hits. After Jacobs held the Bulldogs scoreless in the fourth, Luke Campbell lead off the bottom half of the fourth for the Saints with a solo homerun. Jordan Dallalio followed by reaching base on a wild pitch third strike and was able to score after a walk, a hit by pitch, and a fielders choice from Jared Broadbent bringing the score to 7-2. Clarendon was able to plate another run in the fifth and the Saints answered back in the bottom of the fifth. Quay Grant lead off with a double to left field and Eddie Williams would single bringing Grant across the plate to cut the Clarendon lead to five with an 8-3 score. The fifth inning would mark the end of the scoring for the Saints as Clarendon added another run to finish the scoring. The Saints are still on top of the Jayhawk West as the doubleheader with Clarendon was a non-conference game. The Saints will be back in action on Saturday and Sunday with a conference four-game series against the Pratt Beavers at Brent Gould Field with 1 p.m. start times.