Lady Saints bust Broncbusters

After not playing for quite a few days, the Lady Saints started a little slow Wednesday, Oct. 22, against Garden City. In front of an optimistic and support crowd at the Green House due to Dig Pink Night, a night raising funds and awareness for breast cancer, the Lady Saints found a way to knock off their rival for the 19th straight time.

The Lady Saints didn’t make it easy on themselves in the first match. The 8-18 Busters jumped out to a 6-1 lead over the Lady Saints to start off the match. Seward eventually would take the lead 10-9 when Megan Sharratt aced a serve.

Seward didn’t take off from there though as the Busters would jump back to 15-13 lead. Seward then came storming back and after a couple aces and a powerful kill from Thayna Silva to take a 21-17 lead, but the Lady Saints then got dominated on the final 10 points on the set losing them 8-2, and the Busters ended the first match with a score of 25-23. The Lady Saints didn’t die though, and came out in the second match seeking vengeance. Six players combined to get Seward a 8-2 lead. Then Seward continued to a 12-6 lead, but then, after three straight errors from the Lady Saints, the Busters found themselves creeping back into the game down by two at 12-10. Then another error lead to a deadlock game at 13. After a pair of Garden City kills, giving them a 15-14 lead, Seward called a timeout to get back on track.

The Lady Saints then ran away with the game with an eight point run making it a 20-15 game. Alex Wood closed out the game with a devastating kill to win the game 25-19 and even the match at 1-1.

The third game started out just like game one for Seward as they found themselves tied at 11 midway through. Then Seward found a way to start pushing through the wall. Two kills from Alex Wood and two blocks from Carolina Gasparini and Lindsey Schwab lead to a 8-0 run and an eventual 19-11 lead. The Busters never seemed to make another push as Seward would run away with game three 25-14 putting the Lady Saints up 2-1 in the match.

Seward didn’t stop the run as they went into game four. They jumped out to a 6-2 lead as Wood and Schwab got a block, and then Silva unleashed a violent kill right on the line.

They finally ran out of their streaky magic though as the Busters took the lead at 9-8. Seward jumped back out to a 15-14 lead on a Garden City error. Then after a Seward error, the Busters found themselves with a 16-15 lead. It continued to be a barnburner down the stretch. Seward then pulled ahead late after an ace from Silva, her seventh ace. That put the Lady Saints up 23-20. The Lady Saints then closed up the win on their third attempt at match point to win 25-23.

Seward hit .183 as a team and had 48 kills. They got out with a win despite a night with 20 errors. Silva was a team leader in kills with 12 and she added 19 digs. This was her 15th double double of the season and Gasparini continued it with a double double of her own (11 kills and 20 digs). Megan Sharratt had a solid night hitting .476, had 10 kills and 0 errors. Wood finished with eight kills.

Nacole Miller was the leader in assists with 23, and Kari Anderson led the team in digs with 25. The Lady Saints are now 19-12 and 7-4 in the Jayhawk West.

Seward hosts Lamar on Friday in a non-conference match beginning at 6:30 p.m. in the Green House.

Crusader photo/ Diana Chavira The Lady Saints make their line of introductions before they take the court. This was the Dig Pink for Breast Cancer match. The Lady Saints wore their pink uniforms to show their support of breast cancer awareness. In between sets 2 and 3, Seward collected donations that went towards the Dig Pink Side Out Foundation.
Crusader photo/ Diana Chavira
The Lady Saints make their line of introductions before they take the court. This was the Dig Pink for Breast
Cancer match. The Lady Saints wore their pink uniforms to show their support of breast cancer awareness.
In between sets 2 and 3, Seward collected donations that went towards the Dig Pink Side Out Foundation.