Sacrificing experiences for the greater good

College is an opportunity to gain a higher education and set the ground for a successful future, but it is also thought to be a young adult’s first chance at freedom. Typically, college is a person’s first opportunity to truly govern themselves void of any unwanted influences. Consequently, this means that for the average college student, wearing jeans is getting dressing up, nap time is a scheduled part of the day, and waking up before 10 a.m. is an early morning. As lovely as college life is, there are actually those who choose to forgo it to attend the country’s military academies. West Point, located in New York, is the Army military academy. It is also the home of Tyler Sutherland, Liberal resident and my boyfriend. This is how I have come to understand the unique lifestyle of a West Point Cadet. After living the good life of a normal college student for a semester, I was shocked by what I saw as I toured his campus. The reoccurring theme was gray. Gray buildings, gray uniforms, and a gray sky; a somewhat ironic yet fitting setting for students who will soon be joining the long gray line. Students wore the same uniforms with shined shoes and triangular hats. Every single cadet whom we passed saluted our tour guide as a sign of respect for his rank, and also to avoid being severely punished. Not only were the students’ behavior extremely unique, the architecture of the campus looked exactly like a castle. There were guards standing at the gate, statues of historical figures, and gargoyles protruding from the buildings. Possibly the only thing missing was a draw bridge. Naturally cadets are forced to live a very structured life, in preparation for the regimented life of a soldier, which they will eventually all be leading. For example, every morning they are awake by 5:30 a.m. or 6 a.m. Then they are then required to attend breakfast, told when to come, where to sit, and how long they have. A West Point education costs an upwards of $250,000, but no one who attends pays for their education. Instead, they are expected to pay it back through five years of service following their time at West Point. So the question is simple, is the sacrifice of missing out on a normal college experience worth the gain of being able to serve while also earning a first class education? Tyler believes so.