Christian singers make holiday stop in Liberal

As others were preparing for the Christmas season by putting up decorations, baking, and buying gifts, Christian music artists Big Daddy Weave and Dara Maclean were bringing Christmas joy by performing across the Midwest. The musicians performed in five locations across Ohio, Texas, and Oklahoma, finishing in Liberal for a free concert on Dec. 18, 2011. The local Christian radio station, KJIL 99.1 FM, located in Meade, sponsored the concert in order for it to be free. The “Christ is Come” tour featured songs such as the traditional carols, “O Come All Ye Faithful,” “Silent Night,” as well as new Christmas songs, such as “Glory,” “I’ll Be Brave This Christmas,” and “The Day Love Was Born.” Maclean started off the show with various acoustic Christmas carols, ending with “Suitcases.” Her soulful voice and unique style made even the traditional songs interesting and inviting. Maclean said she feels honored to be able to tour with Big Daddy Weave and write her own Christmas carol, especially since this is really her first year in the spotlight. As much as Maclean enjoys being on tour, she was also excited to go back home. “I haven’t been home in two months, so I’m excited to go home for Christmas. I love being home with my family.” Maclean was also looking forward to her family traditions, such as hanging up stockings and gathering by the fire. After Maclean finished her set, Big Daddy Weave brought the crowd heart-warming Christmas carols and some of their hit songs. Big Daddy Weave brought both humor and down-to-earth talks in between songs, along with inspiring testimonies. The five members of Big Daddy Weave have performed together for 13 years, ever since they were friends in college, and have stayed together through the joys and trials. Big Daddy Weave’s drummer, Jeff Jones, says “This is an opportunity I’ve dreamed about my entire life. I’m so glad that I’m able to travel the country and world proclaiming God’s love through our music.” The “Christ is Come” tour partnered with World Vision International, a non-profit relief and developmental organization that stretches throughout 97 countries worldwide. Big Daddy Weave chose to partner with World Vision because of the organization’s efforts in child sponsorship. The organization also hit close to home with the group because all of the members have sponsored children for five years, and even went on a trip to Ecuador with World Vision a few years ago. Big Daddy Weave is planning on going with World Vision to Tanzania, Africa, this February to help impoverished families in the communities. This March, Big Daddy Weave will have its “Love Come to Life Tour” with Kerrie Roberts and Luminate. Tour dates for the tour can be found on their website, bigdaddyweave.com/shows. Dara Maclean is part of Newsong’s “Winter Jam 2012” tour, along with Skillet, Group 1 Crew, Sanctus Real, and more. Winter Jam started on Jan. 6 and will end on April 1. Tour dates for “Winter Jam 2012” can be found on jamtour.com.