Changes under way for tennis coaching staff

Changes are on the way for the Saints and Lady Saints tennis programs. Jerry Thor and Molly Lentini will no longer serve as head tennis coach and assistant tennis coach respectively. Taking over will be Darin Workman, the former tennis coach of 17 years, as interim head coach. Roy Allen will be helping as interim assistant coach.

Thor leaves after coaching the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 seasons at Seward. In his last season at Seward, he guided the Lady Saints to a school record seven wins during the regular season and coached his No.1 doubles team of Ronzai Saurombe and Alejandro Gonzalez to the school’s first ITA National Championship.

Lentini also leaves Seward’s tennis duties but will complete all her dorm and instructional duties to the end of the semester.

Athletic director Galen McSpadden said, “We are fortunate to have people already on campus to step into those positions. Right now we want to focus on the students within the program, for them to continue to finish fall conditioning workouts, their academics and to compete in the spring both on the court and in the classroom.”

As of right now, all the players have indicated that they will be staying despite the sudden change, according to both McSpadden and Workman.

“The next step is to open the position and begin the process to search for a new coach,” said McSpadden. Until then, Workman will coach with Allen’s assistance. While at Seward, Workman’s men’s team finis­hed among the top 15 in the country two years in a row. Workman was also named NJCAA Tennis Coach of the Year in 2011.

With little notice, Workman accepted to coach the team despite not knowing the players as well as he would have wished.

“They are a great bunch of kids,” said Workman. “Since Monday, so four days that I have been around them consistently, I wish that I would have recruited a team like this. They are very hard working, they just need some structure and I think that it is going to be fine. They will be very successful in the spring.”