Lady Saints enter Region VI tourney with winning streak

The Lady Saints softball team has really hit it off this season, winning nine out of 11 games since April 12.

Seward will enter the Region VI Tournament with a seven-game winning streak on Saturday in Garden City.

Prior to the Region VI Tournament, McCook Community College was the first to fall down to the Saints as they opened up the tournament on April 12.

In the second inning the Saints were in the lead as Andrea Sitter ripped a hit up the middle to send Danielle Orr home from second to make it 2-1. Later in the fifth inning, Seward’s batting added to their lead. Tiffanie Bolanos and Orr made their lead 9-2. Lady Saints won 9-2 and moved on to be 13-3 for the season.

Next on the Saints list was Western Nebraska Community College, but they had little luck. The Lady Cougars crept up on the Lady Saints and took them down 2-0. But Seward had no time to pout as they came back for revenge against the Lady Trojans from Trinidad State.

Seward outhit Trinidad 17-4.

That following Wednesday, April 16, the Lady Saints faced a split 8-5, 4-3 against Garden City in their 2014 Jayhawk West home finale.

Seward is now 39-11 overall and 8-4 in Jayhawk West play.

The Lady Saints hosted their last home game on Friday April 18 against the Pratt Lady Beavers in a doubleheader at the softball field.

Seward got the show on the road and began scoring immediately in game one. The intensity proceeded into the second inning as the Lady Saints got three straight hits putting them up 3-0.

That power continued throughout the rest of the game and they were 7-0 at the end of the sixth inning.

The Lady Saints sweep over the Beavers put them on top, winning 8-0 and 7-0 on their Sophomore Night and leaving Seward with a lead of 41-11 overall.

After that home victory, the Lady Saints enjoyed a well deserved weekend off before they wrapped up the Jayhawk West Conference schedule.

The momentum did not stop after the short break.

Batting against Colby, the Lady Saints did not waste a speck of energy and started scoring early on in the game.

Against Colby Community College, Seward had 13 hits and it was seven out of the nine starters that had one hit, minimum.

Seward finished Colby with another consecutive win of 7-3 for the first game and a 13-4 for the last.

On April 25, the Lady Saints play their last game before the big tournament. Seward came in stronger than before and swept the Barton Cougars, walking away with an 18-2 run rule win in the fifth inning. This game showed 30 hits, where Seward had 17.

For the season, the Lady Saints are at 45-11 overall and they finish up the Jayhawk West Conference with a solid 12-4.

Courtesy photo/ Roy Allen Pokey Ewell, 5-1 right handed hitter, is about to sprint to base after hitting from home base on April 24 against Colby Lady Trojans. Ewell put Seward in the lead 5-3 in the second inning.
Courtesy photo/ Roy Allen
Pokey Ewell, 5-1 right handed hitter, is about to sprint to base after hitting from home base on April 24 against Colby Lady Trojans. Ewell put Seward in the lead 5-3 in the second inning.