Lady Saints off to perfect start of season

The Lady Saints basketball team is off to a perfect start to the season at 3-0.

This weekend will give the Lady Saints a chance to improve to 5-0 and keep alive the hot run they have started. They will face South Plains College on Friday and Midland College on Saturday. Both games will start at 6 p.m.

“Our start to the season has been great in that everyone has stepped up and contributed,” said Toby Wynn, head coach of the Lady Saints. “We have had contributions from everyone.”

South Plains College has only played two games in the season and split the games, keeping their record at 1-1.

Michelle Wyatt, head coach of the Lady Texans from South Plains, said, “We didn’t play last weekend, but I think we had great practices.”

Some challenges that the Lady Texans have faced is that their entire roster is new, yet coach Wyatt still sees strength in their guard play and their depth.

“I think it may take us several games to find our roles,” said Wyatt. “Our players really play hard and if they continue to do that I think they can have some success. We always try and play a tough non-conference schedule in preparation for conference play.”

Midland College is 4-1 for the season right now, with Ron Jones as head coach. Midland has had great success under Jones as head coach. They have 6 NJCAA National Tournament appearances, finishing as National Runner-Up in 2001. The Lady Chaps even reached the Sweet 16 in 2013.

Jones has also helped develop 41 NCAA Division I student-athletes. Under Jones, Midland averages 26 wins per season.

While both games will prove to be a challenge, coach Wynn and the Lady Saints just take it one game at a time.

“It’s not that difficult for us to stay focused on the next opponent because that’s all we talk about,” said Wynn. ” We don’t ever look down the road or past the next opponent we are facing. Right now, we are focusing on South Plains and trying to figure out how to win that game. We have several areas we need to improve in to be able to compete with these two teams from Texas.”

The Lady Saints have a field goal percentage of 39.9 and a three point field goal percentage of 24.6. They are also averaging 47.7 rebounds per game and 17.7 assists per game.

“We need to get better on offense and we need to get better on defense,” said Wynn. “Right now, we don’t do either of those parts of the game very well. So far we have found ways to win but we have to get much better if we want to keep winning.”

The Lady Saints will look towards these games to help prepare for conference play.

Crusader photo/Xochitl Gonzalez Tamara Seda jumps up for the tip-off against Hill College on October 31. The Lady Saints went on to beat Hill College 66-51. Seda ended the night with five rebounds, two assists, one steal, and nine points. The Lady Saints will continue play against South Plains College on Friday and Midland College on Saturday. Games begin at 6 p.m. in the Greenhouse.
Crusader photo/Xochitl Gonzalez
Tamara Seda jumps up for the tip-off against Hill College on October 31. The Lady Saints went on to beat Hill College 66-51. Seda ended the night with five rebounds, two assists, one steal, and nine points. The Lady Saints will continue play against South Plains College on Friday and Midland College on Saturday. Games begin at 6 p.m. in the Greenhouse.