Lady Busters escape injury but not defeat

The Lady Saints and the Lady Busters were originally scheduled to play January 21st, but the game was cancelled a couple of hours before the teams were supposed to take the court when a semi hit the Garden city bus bringing the Lady Busters to their game.

No injuries were reported from either, and the Lady Busters showed no signs of a prior incident as they took the court Monday night.

Winning has been a constant for this season’s Lady Saints basketball team. Monday night against Garden City would be nothing different for the Lady Saints as they won their 20th game for a 23rd straight season 71-57.

Threes were raining wild in the beginning of this conference match up. The Lady Saints and Lady Busters went back and forth and the first five buckets of the game were three point plays. The Lady Busters would hit one more than the Lady Saints to give them a 9-6 lead. Seward took their first lead of the game at 10:40 when Axelle Bernard made a field goal to give them a 16-15 advantage. Rebekah Hatchard then stayed hot from behind the three point line and gave the Lady Saints a 19-17 advantage heading into the media timeout.

Seward finished the half outscoring the Lady Busters 6-1 in the final 2:55 of the half giving them a 37-29 lead.

Garden came out in the second half and couldn’t hit water if they fell out of a boat. The Lady Saints didn’t give in one bit and found a way to quickly extend their lead to 13. Seward didn’t seem to look back as they were still up at the midpoint big 51-37 after a three from Hatchard with 12:36 remaining. Not so fast though because just as the Lady Saints looked comfortable Garden found a way to chip away.

Garden had a 6-0 run to slim the lead to only eight points at 51-43. Bernard then hit a clutch three to once again extend the lead to double digits. Brooklyn Artis would hit the fatal blow with a three that gave the Lady Saints a 69-51 with 2:40 remaining.

The Busters made a feeble attempt at a comeback, and in the end Seward County continued their winning ways with a 71-57 win.

Seward shot 48 percent overall while Garden City was cold all night long, connecting on just above 30 percent on the night. The Lady Saints got a huge performance out of Bernard in the win who finished with 12 points and a career high 15 rebounds, 12 coming in the second half in her fifth double-double of the year.

Kendal Davis and Brooklyn Artis both had 15 points to lead the Lady Saints in the win while Davis tacked on 6 rebounds and Artis 6 assists. Hatchard ended with 14 points and hit four more three pointers to extend her season total to 42.

The Lady Saints are now 20-2 overall and remain 2nd in the Jayhawk West Standings at 8-1. Seward county continues play Wednesday when they travel to Colby to play the Lady Trojans.

Crusader photo/Maria Lara A Garden City bus carrying the Lady Busters was on its way to Seward for a basketball game Jan. 21 when it was hit by an oncoming semi on Highway 83 outside of Liberal. The game was cancelled and replayed Feb. 2. The occupants of the bus escaped with minor cuts and bruises.
Crusader photo/Maria Lara
A Garden City bus carrying the Lady Busters was on its way to Seward for a basketball game Jan. 21 when it was hit by an oncoming semi on Highway 83 outside of Liberal. The game was cancelled and replayed Feb. 2. The occupants of the bus escaped with minor cuts and bruises.