Saints struggle in conference

The Seward County Saints go into postseason play this weekend in a do or die situation.  They will play a best two out of three series with Neosho on Saturday and Sunday.  With two wins, they will advance as one of the top eight teams to the Region VI Championships in Wichita next week, or with two losses, their season will be over.

It has been a difficult run for the Saints, who finished Jayhawk West Conference play in fifth place with a 16-16 record, the most conference losses in school history.  Overall, their team record is 29-26.

The Saints are now playing to extend their season, but it will mean winning two of three against a tough Neosho County team playing with home field advantage in Chanute.

The Saints had a rough go of things as their 2014 regular season came to a close.  The Saints took on Colby in a four game series on the road on April 11 and 12 and lost the first three games of the series, 1-0, 6-2, and 13-4 before winning the last game 8-5.

The day one sweep for the Trojans over the Saints was the first in school history and the Trojans series win over Seward was also a first.  With the series loss, the Saints fell to 24-19 overall and 14-12 in Jayhawk West play.

Shortly after, the Saints faced Clarendon  in a non-conference game April 16, losing 9-2.

Their next conference series came against Cloud County and started well for the Saints as pitchers JB Olson and Austin King didn’t allow an earned run in two games while striking out 17 T-Bird hitters.  Seward won both games, 6-1 and 12-0 to move them from sixth place to fourth in the standings.

The next day didn’t go as well though as the Saints lost both games to Cloud County to fall back down to fifth place.

Later that week, the Saints took on Frank Phillips in a non-conference game and beat the Plainsmen 9-8.

To close the conference season they traveled to El Dorado to take on Butler in a series that would determine who was at home for the playoffs.  The Saints lost game one to the Grizzlies 7-1, but the second game was better as they won 17-7.

Needing two wins on the second day of the series to clinch home field advantage, the Saints fell flat, losing 6-5 and 17-7 to the Grizzlies to put them on the road in the first round.

—Sports Information Director Roy Allen contributed to the writing of this article.

Courtesy photo/ Roy Allen Seward struggled on Friday, April 12, to keep the Trojans off of the bases as they lost their first series to them at 16-5.
Courtesy photo/ Roy Allen
Seward struggled on Friday, April 12, to keep the Trojans off of the bases as they lost their first series to them at 16-5. 

Courtesy photo/ Roy Allen Left handed pitcher Austin King defends the Saints throughout the game on April 18 against Cloud County.
Courtesy photo/ Roy Allen
Left handed pitcher Austin King defends the Saints throughout the game on April 18 against Cloud County.