Saints and Lady Saints tennis teams face tough matches against four-year colleges

The Saints faced a rough set of matches against two four-year colleges, Bethany and Ottawa, last weekend in Salina. The Saints lost to Bethany 7-2 and to Ottawa 9-0. The two points against Bethany came from single match wins from Justin Pena and Daniel Alonte. Alonte won his match 6-2, 6-1, while Pena won 2-6, 6-4 and 10-6. The Saints tennis team meet against No. 7 Bethany was a blow out 9-0, with no matches won by the Saints. “The reason we planned the match against Bethany was because their team is a powerhouse, and it gives our players good experience for regionals and other matches,” said Jerry Thor, head tennis coach for the Saints and Lady Saints. The Saints are now 5-6 for the season and will face Hesston today, and Johnson County tomorrow. “We know that the matches will be tough, but we’ll make them earn it,” Thor said about the Saints and Lady Saints matches against Hesston and Johnson County. The Lady Saints faired much better than the Saints did in their matches against Bethany and Ottawa. The Lady Saints beat Ottawa 6-3, with two of their points coming from double matches and four from singles. Only one of Ottawa’s points came from an actual match. The Lady Saints had to give two default points because of the number of players. Leticia Monteiro, Kurstie Zepeda, Kathryn Roohan and Katiuska Adarmes were all able to win their matches giving the Lady Saints four points to end the match 6-3. The Lady Saints lost against Bethany 5-4 in what was a close match-up. The Lady Saints took a 2-1 lead after winning two doubles matches and giving a default point. Bethany won three of the six singles matches and a default points while the Lady Saints were only able to win two, making the score 5-4. Adarmes and Roohan were the two Lady Saints that won their matches. “The doubles team did very well and that’s what contributed to the win against Ottawa and a close game against Bethany,” Thor said about the Lady Saints’ performance last weekend. The Lady Saints are now 3-6 in the season. The Lady Saints will travel with the Saints to face Hesston and Johnson County.

Sophomore Justin Pena returns a ball during the Saints Tennis practice.