Season opener this weekend for softball

The Lady Saints softball team will begin its 2015 season Friday, facing a weekend full with games. On Friday, they will travel to Fort Worth, Texas, to play against Seminole State College, Ranger College, and Midland College. On Saturday, the Lady Saints will play Galveston College and Hill College.

Assistant coach Abby Bolton said, “We are really looking forward to actually playing someone besides ourselves. I think the girls are getting tired of just scrimmaging each other and are just looking forward to playing some different teams and getting out there and see how we stack up against competition.”

While they have not practiced much against other teams, Coach Bolton still sees great strength in how the Lady Saints have been hitting in the past few practices. Along with this strength is some weaknesses that they still need to work on.

“Defensively we have been inside quite a bit so it takes a while to get back into the rhythm and getting out there in the dirt and grass and just being able to make plays,” Bolton said. “I think that will come along with playing more games and we will get stronger in those areas.”

This weekend is just the start of 14 straight away games before finally playing home on Feb. 24 against Clarendon College.

“We actually play better on the road,” Bolton said. “They don’t worry about who is sitting in the stands and don’t have to worry about the music, so we play better on the road.”

Some players to look out for during the season will be sophomores Vanessa Oakden, Jaclyn Wagner, Tiffanie Bolanos, and Joe-Ann Rapoza.

“We are excited for the season to open up,” Bolton said. “We have been working hard all year and I am hoping the girls have a good season.”

The game versus Seminole State College this weekend will start on Friday at 9 a.m.