Lady Saints Bounce Back from Three-Game Losing Streak

By Jevyn Voss

Crusader Staff

The Seward County Lady Saints softball righted the ship toward a winning record on Feb. 25 as they beat Northern Oklahoma College-Enid 11-10 and Independence Community College 13-2 in a double-header.

The Lady Saints faced off against Northern Oklahoma College-Enid first at 2 p.m. The first inning started out well as they scored three runs, but they allowed the Jets to score seven runs in the bottom of the first.

The 3-7 run deficit couldn’t sour Seward’s mood, though. The Lady Saints scored a run in every inning to bring the score to 6-7 until the fifth when neither team scored.

Seward kept Northern Oklahoma scoreless after the seven-run start until the sixth inning. The Lady Saints scored two runs at the top of the inning and the Jets answered right back with two of their own to give them a 9-8 lead over the Saints.

With a tight game in hand, the Lady Saints came out in the seventh inning and scored three runs. NOC could only muster up one run in the bottom of the seventh.

Another win for the Lady Saints came from a great performance at bat for the Lady Saints. Freshman left fielder Kolby Hamilton led the Lady Saints with four runs and scored each time she went to bat.

Seward County started the day with a win over the North Oklahoma College-Enid Jets with a close victory of 11-10 in their first game of the day.

In Game 2 of the afternoon Seward County won in convincing fashion over Independence Community College The Lady Saints had a 16 hit, 13 run game against the Lady Pirates, winning in five innings.

The Lady Saints came out strong in the bottom of the first by scoring five runs and keeping the Lady Pirates without a run.

After the first inning neither team scored a run until the fourth inning. Independence scored two at the top of the inning and Seward answered back with eight of their own. This would be the end of scoring for both teams.

The Lady Saints carried their strong batting performance against Northern Oklahoma College-Enid over to game two on the afternoon. Seward had five different batters score two runs each as only one teammate never got on base.

Seward ‘s pitching performance was impressive as sophomore pitcher, Jaclyn Wagner faced 15 batters and had a three strikeout performance while only allowing two runs. Freshman pitcher Jaidyn Mawhinney pitched as well and didn’t allow a single hit as she faced 5 batters.

The Lady Saints went 2-0 on the afternoon to improve their record to 9-7 overall.

Seward County will return to action on March 6 at 2 p.m. with a doubleheader against the 3-8 Butler Community College Grizzlies.