Seminar warns drivers of fatal attraction to texting

According to a 2011 report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration drivers in their 20s and younger made up the majority of fatal distracted driving accidents in all age groups. It is important for everyone to understand how easy it is to get distracted while driving.

The Business and Industry division hosted a seminar over the fatal effects of distracted driving to Seward Community College Area and Technical School students, law enforcers and community members.

The class was presented by Michael Racy, public resource officer for Southwest Kansas, at the SCCC/ATS library. Racy emphasized the importance of being “able to react in case something happens in front of you.”

The seminar shows various videos with blinking simulators that lets people see how easy it is to miss subtle changes around them, like buildings disappearing.

Some videos shown during the Distracted Driving class were “The Monkey Business Illusion,” in which viewers are tested to see what changes occur while people toss a ball back and forth to each other, and also a news segment where a car and a truck collide because the driver of the car was momentarily distracted.

During the seminar, several scenarios of driving while being distracted were discussed, such texting and driving, how often people are seen putting on make-up, shaving and even reading books while driving their cars.

The seminar also discussed the dangers of talking on the phone, even if it seems harmless the smallest distraction can make all the difference in avoiding an accident.

Find the presentation here.

Crusader photo/ Tania Valenzuela  Audience paying close attention to distracted driving presentation
Crusader photo/ Tania Valenzuela
Audience paying close attention to distracted driving presentation

Crusader photo/ Tania Valenzuela Michael Racy presenting Distracted Driving seminar at SCCC/ATS library.
Crusader photo/ Tania Valenzuela
Michael Racy presenting Distracted Driving seminar at SCCC/ATS library.

Crusader photo/Tania Valenzuela Resource officer Michael Racy presenting distracted driving seminar to audience in SCCC/ATS library.
Crusader photo/Tania Valenzuela
Resource officer Michael Racy presenting distracted driving seminar to audience in SCCC/ATS library.