Music the key of life for Seward student

“When I have music around, that’s when I’m most satisfied in my life”

Nathaniel James Lee, a freshman at SCCC, confessed that he couldn’t go a day without listening or playing music. Even his college is based around music as music education major. Fortunately, Lee has found ways to fill his days with music. He plays guitar, drums, trumpet, bass guitar, piano, a little bit of ukulele, and he also sings.

Lee received a presidential scholarship in music from Seward County, which Darin Workman, instrumental music instructor, offered to him. “Nathaniel is a fine young musician. He is very a versatile musician,” Workman said.

“I wanted to come here because the music program is really good,” Lee said.

Lee was in band in Sublette his senior year of high school, where he met Workman.

Lee started playing piano when he was in grade school. From there, he learned trumpet in fifth grade. Because his grandpa was in band, Lee picked up the drums from his grandpa and played for six years. Lee also self-taught himself guitar in the summer five years ago.

Lee was born in Oklahoma City. He and his family moved to Satanta when Lee was 2 because they wanted to live close to their family, and have lived there since.

“I like all kinds of music: Christian, alternative, country, a little bit of pop, Indie, any kind of rock. I think each of them is every unique and different,” Lee said.

Lee said that he’s a Christian, “I still try reading the Bible and keeping in touch with God.”

“Music is like a gateway for me, I just can’t live without it,” Lee said. “I was diagnosed with OCD when I was in third grade. It’s been a battle, but music has really helped me to get away from where I was trying to be perfect. Music kind of saved my life in a way.”

Lee loves to hang with his friends, look up music videos, and play music in his free time.

“I want to be a performer,” Lee said. After Seward County, Lee’s plan is to attend at University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond, Okla. because his parents are alumni from UCO and he wants to follow their footsteps.

Lee feels uncomfortable with compliments even though people say he has a good voice. He feels humbled. “I don’t think so,” he said.

Anysia Marie Limon, one of Lee’s classmates, looked over to Lee and humorously described him. “Nathaniel is a very talented dorky guy. He always plays music.”

“Nate is quite interesting. He’s not afraid to make jokes at any time, even though it’s not funny,” Cody Mitchell, Lee’s classmate, teased.

Marissa Rodriguez, another friend of Lee from the SCCC band, said: “Nathaniel is very spontaneous. He likes to joke around a lot, and he’s pretty funny.”

Crusader photo/Kim Nguyen Seward student, Nathaniel James Lee, an associates degree major in music education is involved in choir and band for SCCC/ATS.
Crusader photo/Kim Nguyen
Seward student, Nathaniel James Lee, an associates degree major in music education is involved in choir and band for SCCC/ATS.