Saints sweep Kansas Wesleyan

On the other side of the courts on Friday in Salina, the men’s team scored the points that the Lady Saints unfortunately lacked. Sweeping the tournament against the Kansas Wesleyan Coyotes 9-0, the Saints seem to have a strong chance to make it far in the season.

Sophomore Ronzai Saurombe explains that the team’s success has a lot to do with the new line up. “I feel very positive about it because it gives us the chance to actually do better against schools that are ranked higher than us,” Saurombe said.

Before, only two international students were allowed to play on a team, but with the new lineup, up to seven international students are now able to play.

Saurombe also shared, “I think we have a really good team, a strong team and we’ll be able to do well,” Saurombe said, “especially in Regionals.”

As for the season, Saurombe has high expectations. He mentioned that he thinks the team will be able to come out with wins for most of their matches in doubles.

“I think we were one of the only teams that actually had internationals that were sitting on the bench not knowing that this rule was going to be put into play,” Saurombe said. “We are so fortunate to have good international players.”

Saurombe also shared that his main goal is to win Regionals as
a team and make their way to Nationals.

The game in Salina was only a warmup for the start of the sea- son and with the new lineup, freshman Felipe Casares felt that their opponents “weren’t very much competition for the Saints,” and it gave the team a great confident boost.

The team’s continued success at Winfield against Southwestern only put the team a step closer to achieving a win in Regionals and maybe even Nationals.

The score for the Saints was yet again 9-0 in another sweep- ing victory.

In doubles, Saurombe and partner Vitor Galvao, ranked No. 7 in the nation, took the overall biggest win of 8-2, against duo Michael Bond and Devon Leone.

Saurombe and Galvao took first place in doubles followed by Casares and partner Alvaro Reg- nifo in second and duo Tare Mariga and Paul Arslanian finished off the clean sweep of dou- bles for the Saints.

Chris Lane of Southwestern was beaten 6-0, 6-0 by Arslanian for Seward’s first win in singles. Saurombe also defeated opponent Johnas Joudrey at No. 1 singles 6-0, 6-1, putting Seward at 5-0.

The closest Southwestern ever got to a win over Seward was against Casares with scores of 6- 1, 6-3 who still dominated over Logan Bevis.

The Saints have began their spring season 4-0 and out of 36 matches played, have only lost six.

Courtesy photo/Roy Allen Paul Arslanian, along with partner Tare Mariga, put Seward in a 3-0 lead with their match win over Kansas Wesleyan tennis duo PJ Deloney and Mitchell Byers 8-1.
Courtesy photo/Roy Allen
Paul Arslanian, along with partner Tare Mariga, put Seward in a 3-0 lead with their match win over Kansas Wesleyan tennis duo PJ Deloney and Mitchell Byers 8-1.