SCCC hosts Trick or Treating for the kids in the community

Students+decorate+their+door+frame+to+grab+attention+and+make+their+doors+look+more+interesting.+

Keynitra Houston

Students decorate their door frame to grab attention and make their doors look more interesting.

Angelica Alfaro, Reporter

Halloween is one of the holidays kids love to participate in. Halloween consist of tons of candy, haunted houses, and costumes. Kids of all ages dress up and go house to house asking for candy, and not only kids, adults do as well.

Sometimes going house to house isn’t as safe as it seems. The candy may come out bad or children can get lost. In the Liberal community, there are alternatives, some churches have activities and Seward County Community College has activities as well.

Different clubs on campus got together on Halloween and did different activities for the kids throughout the student union and dorms. Halo was handing out candy and also had a game set up. The game was “Guess The Celebrity”. The game was simple, there were pictures of different celebrities and if the kids guessed the celebrity right they got extra candy.

PBL had a game planned as well, Ring Toss. There were kids from different ages but the students decided not to do it because it was a little too hard, so they just continued to hand out candy. Most student were dressed up because “it helps with being in the Halloween mood,” says Eloisa Aquino. Aquino was dressed as a skeleton, Sergio Borjas was dressed as a whoopie cushion, Lesly Duran was a black widow, Michelle Gaytan was a sugar skull, and Karina Moreno was a black cat. PBL said they decided to participate because it is fun to be involved and participate.

Students at SCCC decorate their dorm doors in order to win a gift certificate.
Keynitra Houston

PTK was another club that participated. Alyssa Fisher says “We decided to participate because PTK is about giving back to the community and what better way to do this than on Halloween.” PTK’s activity for the kids was a game. The kids had three ping pong balls and had those three chances to make the balls into the jack-o-lanterns. If they made one ball they got one candy, if they made two they got two candies, and if they made all three they got three candies; even if they didn’t make it they still got one candy. Fisher also mentions that many members of the clubs love kids so it was exciting to participate in this event.

Roommates Victoria Rios and Aubrey Holt, decide to go with a creepy crawly theme for their door.
Keynitra Houston

The Corrosion club had almost the exact similar game as PTK, which the kids enjoyed both. Erick Urias explains “If they make one ball they get one candy, if they make two they get two, but if they make three they get four candies.” Their game did have a little twist but the kids also still got candy if they didn’t make the balls.

The Art club set up a Pirates of the Caribbean ship. Some members of the club dressed up as pirates. Art club was set up at the beginning of the line and they handed out candy to the kids.

At the dorms, candy was handed out downstairs from students outside their dorms. Upstairs was the Haunted Hallway in which many kids went through and others didn’t. Students were dressed up with scary costumes and were scaring the kids who did decide to go through. Once the kids made it through the hallway, the fun was over. After the activities the kids went home safe with lots of candy.