College serves free meal to community

Keynitra Houston

Autry and Rachel Coleman, Liberal residents, wait in line for their thanksgiving meal at the SCCC cafeteria.

Yesenia Montanez, Reporter

Seward County Community College offered a free Thanksgiving meal to the community, faculty, and students on Tuesday. It was a way of giving back to the community and all were welcomed to join the feast.

“Every year we have had around 700 people come in and eat. The highest amount we have ever served had to be 743 people,” Jerry Odle, Jr., the Director of food services, said.

“They have had this feast every year, even before I started working here.” Odle, who has worked at SCCC for almost 12 years, added.

Faculty, staff and students stood in long lines to get to the feast that took three days to prepare. Cafeteria staff noted that the pies took longer than anything else, since these have to cool. Nearly 200 pounds of turkey and 170 pounds of ham was served to almost 600 people.

This holiday event is the only time the food is free at the SCCC cafeteria. All the other holiday foods the college offers are charged.

Alex M. Widener, SSS Academic and Career Advisor, and Gayla L. Myers the Director of Student Support Services (TRIO) both concluded they enjoyed the meal.

Widener said, “This event gives you a welcomed feeling.”

Friends Ramona Lizarraga, Alexis Burciaga, Haydee Amparan and, Baptiste Dutreive wait patiently in line before eating a thanksgiving meal.
Keynitra Houston
Friends Ramona Lizarraga, Alexis Burciaga, Haydee Amparan and Baptiste Dutreive wait patiently in line before eating a tasty Thanksgiving dinner.

Cosmetology student Meghan McElroy, enjoys a thanksgiving meal with a friend.
Keynitra Houston
Cosmetology student Meghan McElroy, enjoys a Thanksgiving meal with a friend here at SCCC.
Citizens here in Liberal, enjoy a free thanksgiving meal at SCCC.
Keynitra Houston
SCCC offers free Thanksgiving meal to Residents and students in Liberal.
A Liberal resident stands in line to get turkey, dressing and all of the other "fixings" at SCCC's Thanksgiving meal.
Keynitra Houston
A Liberal resident stands in line to get turkey, dressing and all of the other “fixings” at SCCC’s Thanksgiving meal.