Math and writing centers are here to help

Yesenia Montanez, Reporter

It could be midterm finals or semester finals. Even if it’s something small the student struggles on, the college offers two great options to use: the writing center and math resource center. These centers are free to college students to use.

The writing center located in room A136, in the Hobble Academic Building next door to the registrar.

The hours are:

• Monday-Friday: 7:45 a.m -4:45 p.m

The center helps students:

• Understand teacher expectations selecting a topic
  • Research
  • Developing content
  • Organizing your thoughts
  • Revising
  • Editing
  • Even AP & MLA format

Sharon Brockmann, the Writing Lab Coordinator, helps students by asking them questions in order for the students to find “their voice” for writing assignments or other random answers for essay problems.

”My goal is by the time you leave, you will know what to do without my help,” writing lab coordinator Brockman said.

She makes sure students have that structure and correctness. Before that she look’s at content. Brockman also helps with the competency test that students have to pass in english class. The students receive tips and practice questions to study from.

Brockman also concluded, ”I am here to make a student’s life easier”.

Women’s basketball player Manuela Fungate works on problem on the whiteboard to practice her math skills.
Keynitra Houston

Michelle Mattich said,” The writing center is also a good place to study, too.”

The Math Resource Center is also available for students to use. The computers are set up specially for the students who have math and science classes . The center is located inside the library in the Hobble Academic Building.

The center helps students learn the math language. With four tutors available, students can get help from them by setting up appointments. Students need to set up appointments that fit the tutors schedule.

The hours are:

• Monday- Thursday: 8 a.m – 6 p.m
  • Friday: 8 a.m – 4:45 p.m

Derric Moore, STEM Mathematics Lab Monitor/Instructor, helps students be better prepared academically.

“I help students learn the math language so students can do better on homework and on test’s overall,” Moore said.

The center does not just offer help every once in awhile but it conducts different venues like square day that help students on specific topics. These venues help students be successful  in college.

These two great centers can be used in time to finish an essay or study for a trigonometry test.