SCCC students make All-Kansas academic team

Two Seward County Community College students have been selected for the All-Kansas Academic Team.

This academic team is a group of students made up of two students from each community college in Kansas.

Each academic division at SCCC was able to nominate two students that they believed fit the necessary qualities. The two SCCC winners are Casie Yowell and Jake Jimenez who were shocked to learn they had been selected.

“I was in shock at first, but I had a great sense of accomplishment and felt very honored to be chosen,” Yowell said.

Students were nominated based upon their GPA, academic rigor, involvement in their college, community service, leadership, goals, and their handling of challenges with obtaining a higher education.

This a prestigious honor for the students because of all of the scholarship opportunities that are now available to them, and many possible doors are opened for them.

“Being a member gives me surreal feeling because, to me, I am not only representing myself but my family as well, so I feel that I have made them proud and brought honor to them,” Jimenez said.

This honor has brought high hopes for both students. Yowell plans to apply for the National Academic Team in hopes of receiving a scholarship. She plans to graduate in May and further her education through Newman University. Jimenez also hopes this opportunity will help him achieve his goal of becoming a General Practitioner.

According to Phi Theta Kappa sponsor Debbie Stafford, now that the finalists have been selected, they will complete the application process to compete for scholarships and awards at the national and international level. They will also be honored at an awards ceremony banquet in Topeka in February.

This event will include a tour of the state capital and meeting politicians.

Additionally, the team members will receive $300 stipends, certificates and medallions. They will also be recognized at the International Convention, Phi Theta Kappa Nerd Nation, in April in San Antonio.

Casie Yowell
Casie Yowell
Jake Jimenez
Jake Jimenez