Steps to staying safe during flu season

Flu season has finally started. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 199 cases of the flu were reported in the United States since Oct. 17. It is estimated that an average 5-20 percent of the population in the US gets the flu each year. Over 200,000 people are hospitalized due to flu related complications, such as sinus infections, bronchitis, or pneumonia. The influenza and pneumonia are ranked ninth in the leading causes of death in 2010. The flu is a respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses. Talking, coughing or sneezing easily transmits this virus. Even though the peaks of flu season vary year to year in the U.S., the activity is highest between December and February. There are three types of influenza viruses called Type A, B and C. The epidemic of seasonal flu is caused by three types A and B whose symptoms may include a high fever, body aches, sore throat and running nose. Influenza Type A is the virus that affects both human and animals, whereas Type B is only found in human. Many people may still remember the pandemic of H1N1 called “swine flu” in 2009. This virus is one of the subdivisions of Type A viruses. Originally, the H1N1 flu is a respiratory disease of pigs; however it started to spread to humans. If the flu-like symptoms appear, consult your health care providers. As the treatments for influenza, your doctor may prescribe antiviral drugs that are pills, liquid, or inhaled powder, and they help reduce the symptom. How do we prevent from flu viruses? Macy Millikan, an instructor in the Allied Health Department, said, “Having a vaccination for influenza is helpful to protect against flu. However, it is not completely preventative so the daily precaution is very important to stop spreading germ.” Some everyday preventive steps include washing your hands carefully. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective. Cover nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing and disposing of it properly.