Veins for charge

Buzz. Ding! Ring! Walking through the halls, sitting at the doctor’s office, eating at a restaurant, these sounds assault our ears everywhere. Look to your left, look to your right, do people even acknowledge you? Are their faces buried in their phones and completely oblivious to the fact that life is happening all around them? Albert Einstein’s words foreshadowed our technology world when he said “I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.” I believe this quote is uncomfortably accurate for the position in which our society is in today. We’re to the point we can’t even function without our mobile devices with us AT ALL TIMES. An Israeli graduate student, Naomi Kizhner, has taken this concept of cell phone addiction to a whole new level. She has created chargers for cell phones that work by being embedded in the user’s veins in order to turn the wheel and generate electricity from the pulsation of the blood. “I wanted to provoke the thought about how far will we go to in order to ‘feed’ our addiction in the world of declining resources,” Kizhner said on haaretz.com. Is this how far we are willing to go for technology, harming our own bodies just to get an extra charge for our cell phones? Although cell phones are a mazing and can be used in positive ways, I truly believe the negative may outweigh the positive. They are a waste of time. According to geekwise.com, the average American spends 162 minutes per day on their cell phones. That is over two hours a day. Another website, mobilestatistics.com, states that the average American will spend approximately 23 days a year, and 3.9 years of their lives with eyes glued to a phone screen. An iPhone app is available to keep track of how much time you spend on your phone per day. It is called moment. Although it is kind of ironic that you might download and use an app to track your usage of other apps. Phones are also a waste of money. On androidheadlines.com, a bar graph is shown that portrays the average amount we individually spend a month depending on what cell phone carrier we use. T-mobile’s average is $120, AT&T’s is $141, Sprint’s is $144 and Verizon’s is $148. That’s ranging from $1,440 to $1,776 a year for one person. A family of five, could easily spend $7,200 to $8,880. That’s an insane amount of money being spilled into these cell phone companies; enough to buy a car. Health is another aspect that plays into the negative of cell phone usage: -The radiation of the device can be cancerous -It can put strain on the eyes -It is addictive -The device is full of germs from all of the places it’s been, and the grease from fingers. -It impairs concentration. -Phantom Vibration Syndrome is a sign of overuse of cell phones. You feel the vibration of your phone when it’s not actually vibrating. -Wrist cramps, or thumb cramps from excessive use. So is it really worth it to injure our bodies, waste precious time, throw away thousands of dollars, expose ourselves to more health problems—for technology? According to today’s society, yes.SScreen Shot 2014-11-13 at 4.05.50 PM