Photo Essay: Students train to be artisans

Welding Technology studies different types of welding

April 12, 2017

Welding technology at SCCC is currently a one year program. There are different types of welding such as mig, stick, tig, flux core, and oxy. Welders hold an important place in modern industry, working in a variety of settings.

Everly Romero made his decision to go into welding when he was in high school. SCCC welding technology students learn to fuse metals using an electric arc or gas torch. Classes involve a lot of hands-on teaching and projects.
The welding technology workshop has all of the latest tools of the trade. Students have space to work while the area is well ventilated.
Safety comes first when welding. Classmate Preston Mallory helps Juan Hernandez with shielding his face before welding.
A face shield is one of the top requirements you need when welding. Preston Mallory is doing metal welding, which is a process that joins materials, usually metals or thermoplastics, by causing fusion.
Long sleeves are a requirement for this field as sparks constantly fly around the welder. Freshman Joeri Put, from Belgium, works on his stick welding skills. Stick welding uses a consumable electrode covered with a flux to lay the weld.
Oxy-fuel welding deals with cutting and processes that use fuel gases and oxygen to weld and cut metals, respectively. Oxy-fuel is one of the oldest welding processes.
Welding student Anthony Cardenas, uses stick welding for one of his pieces.
About the Contributor
Photo of Keynitra Houston
Keynitra Houston, Photo Editor

Keynitra Houston was born and raised in Liberal, Kansas. Her activities include choreographing, dancing, taking pictures...

Crusader News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in