Test? What test?

Saints on the Street: Students, faculty share best excuses for missing a test or homework

September 28, 2021

It’s safe to say that at one point or another everyone can be honest about a fib they have told in the past. We dared students to tell us some of their past excuses for skipping class. We also asked some of the campus professors about their experiences, the funniest or most bizarre excuses they have heard. Here is what they all had to say:

Courtesy of Jorge Tinoco

Jorge Tinoco – Hugoton

Uhhh… honestly, my friends and I used to skip pretty often if I’m being honest. I don’t know. I probably emailed something along the lines of:

I can’t attend class today Mrs, I have to attend a business meeting with the boys! 

A lot of the time I skipped class it would be a group of us and we would drive out of town to eat just to make sure we didn’t get caught by a teacher or other supervisor on break.” 

Alex Lerma – Ulysses 

When I was in high school, I had a class called Project Management. The basic gist of the class is that students are allowed to leave in order to do some type of work or community service.

Well… every Friday I would “check out,” for Project Management class after lunch. In reality, a lot of us seniors would just leave to get a head start on the weekend or use it as a long lunch break.

I eventually ended up getting caught because the principal called our supervisor for updates. I ended up getting into trouble and couldn’t go out for lunch. It happened during the last couple of months of my senior year so it didn’t really matter to a lot of us seniors but looking back I kind of regret it.”

Courtesy of Thania Hermosillo

Thania Hermosillo – Hugoton 

I wouldn’t really consider it an excuse to skip class because I did show up… eventually. 

The thing is that it was a test day, and I had totally forgotten about it. So when I remembered I stood in the library pretty much the first 10 minutes of class trying to cram as much as possible.

I went in (the last one at that) and I was the first one to finish; it probably took me less than 30 minutes to do the whole dang test. 

The teacher kind of looked at me with a “are you sure you’re done?” face before I left. 

I decided to get myself a pedicure right after. All I could think as I sat there getting my toes done was hoping I at least did half-decent.”

Victoria Martins

Russ Reglin – Sociology Instructor

I am not sure if you are going to think this is funny, but once I had a student that emailed me on the day of their test and they told me they couldn’t take the test because they didn’t study for it.”

Bonnie Merrihew – Mathematics Instructor 

I have two different stories. The first one I always remember is about a student. I had a student (from Hugoton) that called me saying that he couldn’t make it for the test we were supposed to be taking. When I asked why he said that his mother wouldn’t let him drive over because it was raining and his mother was worried he would hydroplane.

All I could think was well slow down

Another story I have is when a student called me once and quite literally told me that she couldn’t make it to my test because she was in jail.”

Victoria Martins

Katy Redd – Psychology Instructor

I once had a student that called me on test day. She told me that she couldn’t make it to the test because

she had decided that it was smart an hour before the test to go into a dealership and begin the process of buying a new car. 

I’d say as teachers we’ve all had some pretty crazy experiences and we’ve pretty much heard it all and it eventually makes for a good laugh.”

Photo of Dani Arellano
Dani Arellano, Multimedia Editor

Daniela “Dani” Arellano is a returning third-year student from Hugoton. Arellano graduated in 2021 with her Associate...

Photo of Victoria Martins
Victoria Martins, Photographer

Victoria Martins is a 20-year-old super sophomore, from Brazil. She has a lot of fun doing things for Crusader News, so she...

Photo of Brianna Rich
Brianna Rich, Photo Editor

Brianna Rich is a 20-year-old sophomore majoring in journalism. Rich is very excited about starting a new semester and can...

Crusader News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in