Living+in+Southwest+Kansas+means+a+lot+of+road+trips+just+to+shop+or+even+go+to+a+ball+game.+Many+SCCC+students+commute+from+an+hour+away+to+attend+classes.+Passing+the+time+on+a+long+drive+can+be+fun+when+listening+to+the+right+music.+Add+some+friends+and+silliness+to+get+a+winning+combination.+
Living in Southwest Kansas means a lot of road trips just to shop or even go to a ball game. Many SCCC students commute from an hour away to attend classes. Passing the time on a long drive can be fun when listening to the right music. Add some friends and silliness to get a winning combination.

Rubi Gallegos

Rubi Gallegos

What’s your jam?

Road trips aren't the same without music

February 6, 2018

Whether you are just driving across town, commuting to school or taking a road-trip for long hours, music is always necessary in the car. No matter which genre of music you like, there are some songs that never fail to get you moving … even while on the move.

According to Top Music World, some of the best songs to listen to in the car are: “Good Life” by G-eazy and Kehlani, “Stay” by Alessia Cara, “Starboy” by the Weeknd, “Slide” by Calvin Harris, “That’s what I like” by Bruno Mars and plenty more. For the most part, Seward County Community College students agreed but added their own favorites into the mix as well.

For freshman music major, Obadiah Barnett, throwback songs are a must when in the car.

“Anything Bruno Mars or any throwback you can sing along to are necessary during car rides,” Barnett said.

https://open.spotify.com/user/w1yolk4rix0is2e2lkk0fxtd3/playlist/5tXJ705iZD8firCwAbICa5Crusader asked students what their favorite tunes were on a road trip. Here are the SCCC Top 20 via Spotify.

For students that spend time in their car commuting to class everyday from surrounding towns, certain songs played on repeat help make the drive less boring. Freshman nursing major, Caitlyn McIntire, spends a lot of time in her car. She drives from Hugoton to Liberal, about 38 miles one way, to attend classes at SCCC.

“‘The song ‘Heaven’ by Kane Brown helps me stay awake when I’m driving here for my classes everyday. I love his voice and the song has a good message to it,” McIntire said.

SCCC students like all different genres of music, not just Top 40, when they road trip. Kolton Hodges, sophomore education major, and Seth Bowman, freshman agriculture major, agreed that country makes the car ride better.

Country music by artists like Thomas Rhett and Luke Combs really make any drive less boring,” Hodges said.

Bowman agreed but added a Johnny Cash classic to the mix.

“I like listening to ‘Ring of Fire’ by Johnny Cash because his voice can get so low,” Bowman said.

While most students surveyed enjoy upbeat music while driving, some students liked listening to slower music while they’re in the car.

“I like listening to R&B, slower hip hop and just music that i can understand. A song I listen to a lot is ‘Praying’ by Kesha,” sophomore nursing major, Liz Rodriquez, said.

No matter the genre of music, one thing every student surveyed agreed on —  “It has to be a mix of songs that just really make you wanna dance.”

So get in the car, plug in the phone and play some of these songs to get moving and singing along for the rest of the trip.

Amberley Taylor, Co-Editor

Amberley Taylor was born in Garden City, Kansas. She was raised for most of her life in Satanta, but has lived in other places like: Durango, Colorado and Farmington, New Mexico. Amberley is a nursing major at Seward County Community College. After her time at SCCC, she plans to transfer to a university.

Rubi Gallegos, Photo Editor

Margarita “Rubi” Gallegos is a freshman majoring in Digital Photography. She was born in Tierra Blanca, Guanajuato, Mexico and has lived in Liberal for 14 years. She graduated from Liberal High School. Her favorite things to do include spending time with family and hanging out with friends.