Courtesy Photo

(right to left) Janeth Vazquez, Sarahi Aguilera and two other dreamers fight for a Dream Act in Washington D.C. on March 5.

SCCC student among 87 detained at DACA rally

March 6, 2018

The lack of action Congress has taken towards DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) caused many Dreamers to form a human chain, or three layers of people linking hands, to protest the government’s lack of answers on this immigration issue. The dreamers locked together to form a mass that was immovable, blocking traffic on Independence Street in Washington D.C., on March 5, the deadline Trump gave congress to come up with a new plan.

Sarahi Aguilera, Seward County Community College sophomore, participated in the national DACA rally and even sat in as part of the human chain. She explained that the first layer of people were chained together. The second layer of people held pipes around the first layer. The third layer consisted of Dreamers sitting around the circle on Independence Street in Washington D.C.

The Metropolitan police of D.C. tried to break up the human chain, giving three verbal warnings to unlock and clear the street. When the human chain remained, police arrested 87 people for Citation #22–1307: crowding, obstructing, or incommoding. Some of the Dreamers had to spend the night in jail for resisting arrest.

Aguilera was one of the people taken into custody and charged with Civil Disobedience, which is defined as the refusal to obey certain laws or governmental demands for the purpose of influencing legislation or government policy. Aguilera said she put her life on the line to call out congressman to make a change to DACA.**

“I got asked to participate in civil disobedience and I did it. Once I was there, I knew there was no going back” Aguilera said. She was part of the “third layer” sitting around the inner circles.

Aguilera spent five hours in a holding room with the other 87 people arrested. The Dreamers had their wrists zip-tied. Each had to get a background check and fill out paperwork, while still being zip-tied.

“The zip ties were on too tight and when I asked them if they could loosen them, the police officer said ‘no’,” Aguilera explained.

She was charged with a citation and had to pay a $50 dollar fine before being released.

Courtesy Photo
Sarahi Aguilera, sophomore pre-law major, is arrested by the U.S. Capitol Police in Washington D.C. on March 5. She participated in civil disobedience and was arrested, along with 87 other dreamers.

March 5 marked the end of the extension period for Congress to act on the DACA program. Once again, Congress failed to come to a conclusion and has put off changes to DACA until possibly next year. Aguilera has been to D.C. once a month, or a total of six times, since November 2017 to fight for DACA.

DACA is a program for children who were brought to the U.S illegally as children. It allows them to get a permit to stay in the country without risk of deportation but it is not a pathway to citizenship. This act allows Dreamers (as they are called) to be able to obtain a social security card, a bank account, a driver’s license and even be able to get help with school.

The problems with Congress have caused Dreamers to amplify their voices for a greater impact. They’ve also used the opportunity to show thanks and give back by fighting for their communities.

“My parents sacrificed a lot for me and I wanted to give back. I want to show to my immigrant community that we have a voice and we can speak out.” Aguilera said.

Something powerful arose in Aguilera when she sat in the circle and was being part of something so big.

“I’m glad I did it, I feel powerful,” Aguilera said about the civil disobedience act.

Approximately 800 people from different backgrounds, came from all around the country and marched to the capital, asking congress for a new Dream Act.

What is next for DACA? As of right now, the next budget meeting is set for March 23. DACA may come up but no official plans have been made yet.

“Congress doesn’t plan to do anything as of now but I hope they do act on it” Aguilera said.

** Update to story March 7, 2017

About the Contributor
Photo of Michelle Mattich
Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor

Michelle Mattich was born in El Paso, Texas She enjoys writing, and listening to music. She also enjoys reading a good book...