‘Black Holes & Revelations’

It has come to my attention that I have been a bit biased when it comes to my reviews. To date, I’ve only critiqued bands based on their pretty singing, their phat beats or their lyrical mastery. So for this issue I’ve decided to review a band of truly talented musicians. I’m talking about Muse, of course, and in case you haven’t heard already, their album “Black Holes and Revelations,” released almost three years ago, is pure harmonic gold.
So maybe I’m a little behind the 8-ball as far as finding this album goes, I’m also finding it difficult to put into words what this album sounds like. I guess the only thing I can compare it to is being abducted by aliens, because it definitely gives you the sensation of plummeting to the earth from somewhere far outside the reach of even ET’s cellular network.
The trippy keyboard and vocals from Matthew Bellarmy conform nicely to the uniform and catchy jams of Christopher Wolstenholme, the dynamic guitar duo’s unique style is complimented perfectly by the bipolar and somewhat belligerent playing style of drummer Dominic Howard who goes from playing soft consistent pretty beats for the slower paced songs into what I safely call an all out hellfire of toms, bass, and muted snare.
Songs of this nature, such as “Map of the Problematique,” are the most fun to turn the volume up to ear damaging levels to, while the softer songs such as “Starlight,” and “Hoodoo,” are great for lulling one to sleep at night.
Overall, I’m going to give this album four out of five stars. Why only four stars? Because music and politics should never consummate. Ever.