Watching how you act can change a life

Our lives are filled with decisions throughout the day. Some may be as small as whether you should sail with Captain Crunch, chase after Lucky and his Charms, or share breakfast with Barney Rubble and Fred Flintstone, while other decisions such as waking up for class, or showing up to work may hold a little more weight. Even more challenging are decisions that we are faced with when no one is looking, or things that we see as a personal choice that will not harm others. Many of us, including myself, have probably heard this teaching over and over, however it is a simple fact: our actions speak louder than words and what we choose not only affects our lives but others also. This can be carried out in every aspect in life. Anywhere from teaching our siblings to play a sport, to training new employees, our walk with Christ, and in every other relationship we have. The difference between right and wrong is usually easily distinguished. Killing someone doesn’t settle nicely with most people, and giving the shirt off of our back to someone with nothing will most likely get you praise. However, in many cases, we ourselves do not see the effects of our decisions. When I worked at a busy discount store, there was a situation with one of my cashiers where a customer had tried everything to outrage her, to the point that security was called to take care of the situation. If I were on the receiving end, I most likely would have retaliated, however this cashier politely, and with a smile on her face, tried to calm the man down and not once argued with him, even after he threw his shopping cart into her register knocking off everything. I asked her why she would stand there on the receiving end, and she calmly replied, “Why should I escalate his temper when he clearly just needed to vent. Hopefully through my actions he might learn something.” Every day, be it work, school, church, or any other public place, we interact with others, and the way we interact with them can not only make a difference in our lives but also theirs. Three days later at work the same man who had tried to turn the store upside down walked to the cashier and broke down crying, begging for her forgiveness and thanking her for handling the situation he had caused and had went on to say he was on the verge of suicide. It was an eye-opener to see in action something that I had taken for granted. “No one learns from someone they hate. Your mouth is like a grenade.” the band August Burns Red says. Although it may be a little extreme, it is true to life; we are responsible for what we say and with that privilege we need to be careful. In our daily lives, whether we are students, managers, teachers , preachers, or just along for the ride, it is always best to keep in mind that someone’s life may be in our hands. I challenge you to make the right decision next time you are faced with a difficult situation.