5 Netflix originals that you need to watch right now

Michelle Mattich

It’s winter and a snowy weekend is looming. We’ve got some ideas for your Netflix binge. (Posters provided by Netflix Originals media kits.)

Cheyenne Miller, Reporter

With thousands of movies and shows to choose from, Netflix has something for just about everyone. With all of these options, though, it can be hard to find something worth watching, and, as students, we don’t have a whole lot of time to waste. So, how can you know what’s good and what isn’t at first glance?

Luckily for you, you don’t have to guess. Here’s a list of five Netflix originals that even the pickiest of viewers will enjoy.

1. You

If you’re looking for a lighthearted rom-com, then this probably isn’t the show for you. If you’re looking for a terrifying psychological thriller, though, then You is the perfect choice for a weekend binge.

I don’t want to give too much away, but the story (for the most part) is pretty typical for the genre: boy meets girl, boy becomes obsessed with girl, and then boy mercilessly stalks and terrorizes girl. While the concept of the show is nothing new, it’ll make you think a little harder than most stalker stories about who you decide to trust–and what you choose to put on social media.

“I liked how You left me on a cliffhanger. It made me excited to watch the next season,” said Kaitlyn Kirk, freshman elementary education major from Liberal. “I also loved how suspenseful the whole first season was. I’d recommend it to anyone who likes action-packed shows that leave you wanting more.”

So, if you need a little adrenaline rush, look no further–but don’t say I didn’t warn you.

2. The Haunting of Hill House

When I first began watching this show, I figured I was in for another moderately scary story about a haunted house filled with cheap jump scares and overused horror cliches that I’d forget about fifteen minutes after finishing. Fortunately, I was wrong. So, so wrong. Haunting is indeed about a haunted house, but there’s so much more to it than that.

Don’t get me wrong, the ghosts are definitely scary, but the show isn’t really about them. The story follows a family who briefly lived in a haunted house where some seriously tragic (and terrifying) things happened to them. Those events drive them apart as adults, but, eventually, the house ends up bringing them back together in the worst way possible. Without a doubt, this show is sadder than it is scary.

If you just want to freak yourself out with a couple of grisly, gory ghosts, then I wouldn’t suggest this show for you. If you want to get scared and sob into a plate of nachos in front of your friends while contemplating the fragility of life and importance of family, then have at it.

3. Sex Education

Sex Education follows a high school boy who, while trying to deal with his own sexual awakening, pairs up with a classmate to help counsel his fellow students by starting his own sex therapy business at school. Yeah, it’s pretty much as awkward as it sounds, but I promise that it’s worth the watch.

“I love how it portrays teens that all struggle with different things,” said Maria Herrera, a sophomore majoring in engineering from Liberal. “I also really appreciate that fact that they didn’t slut shame any of the more sexually active female characters.”

We all know how embarrassing the topic of sex can be for young people, but this show tackles it head on without an ounce of shame. It’s honest, funny, and uncomfortable at times, but it’s undeniably real.

Not only will you laugh, but you may even feel a little less ashamed of your own experiences, and, for that reason alone, I’d recommend this show to anyone. In fact, I’d say it’s a must watch. Just choose your viewing partners carefully because, like I said before, it gets really awkward.

4. Atypical

To be completely honest, Atypical is one of those shows that seems like it might be a little too boring at first. It’s not full of action or filled to the brim with non-stop comedy, but as I continued watching, I realized that it has plenty of what matters most: heart. The show is an honest portrayal of a teenage boy on the Autism spectrum who struggles to make friends, relate to his family, and most importantly, get a girlfriend.

It’s funny without being insensitive, educational without being boring, and I guarantee it’ll provide you with a better understanding of Autism and what life is like for those on the spectrum. You’ll laugh, you’ll cringe, and who knows–you might even learn something important.

5. Big Mouth

I never knew that I wanted to relive the horror that was middle school until I watched Big Mouth. The cartoon follows a group of young teens as they cope with all of the super fun things happen when we go through puberty, and while it isn’t always the most realistic depiction of what it’s like to grow up, it’s definitely one of the funniest shows I’ve ever seen.

Not only is it funny, but it forces you to rethink some of the more difficult (but important) topics that we all avoided growing up, like mental illness and female sexuality. Even if you’re simply looking for something to make you and your friends laugh, Big Mouth is the way to go.

So, there you have it! Five unique, well-written shows that won’t disappoint. Now, I’m not saying that you should drop all of your responsibilities and go watch all of these as soon as possible, but if you choose to, I promise that you won’t regret it (that much).