Community college vs. university

Which option is best for you?

SCCC+offers+students+a+chance+to+transfer+to+larger+universities%2C+many+of+these+that+are+in+Kansas.+These+pamphlets+can+be+found+in+front+of+the+student+success+center.+

Community college vs. university

SCCC offers students a chance to transfer to larger universities, many of these that are in Kansas. These pamphlets can be found in front of the student success center.

Annette Meza

Annette Meza

Annette Meza

Calen Moore, Reporter

Attending college can be great step to further education. But, what’s the best avenue to take—community college or a university? Before becoming beleaguered with questions and decisions, it is important to remember students do not need to know the answer yet.

College has many pathways and traditional methods are not for everyone. Community college is a place that has much to offer to students and adults wishing to go back to school.

“Community college offers two significant things, job skills or certifications, like an opportunity to go straight into the work field, and saving money,” said Annette Hackbarth-Onson, dean of students.

Students can come to a community college for two years, which saves them a semester or a whole years worth of tuition that they would spend at a university”

— Annette Hackbarth-Onson

On average in America, going to a state college can cost up to $10,000 dollars in tuition and fees. The average cost for most community colleges charge $1,000 to $2,000 dollars in tuition.

“Students can come to a community college for two years, which saves them a semester or a whole years worth of tuition that they would spend at a university,” Hackbarth-Onson said. “They can also take care of a huge chunk of credits and then they can transfer to a university to receive a bachelors degree.”

Community colleges offer flexible academics and financial aid, which encourages students to explore options offered to them. Hackbarth-Onson said she feels that community college is a great place for students who are undecided to explore majors and career options.

“Seward County Community College is special because it has a supportive atmosphere that is not at many schools. There is a lot of encouragement and care for students and their growth here that is not offered at the same personal level at other places,” said Hackbarth-Onson.

Community college offers elements of a big university at a smaller scale, like diversity. Meeting people of different cultures and getting to know them one-on-one is something to encounter at a community college.

“Getting to know other students and other cultures is healthy for students and their education,” said Hackbarth-Onson.

Students have also acknowledged the benefits of attending a community college.

“I’m from Kismet and SCCC was close to home and affordable. I have enjoyed getting to know people and exploring different careers here,” Alejandro Avila, freshman and business administration major said.

About the Photographer
Annette Meza, Copy Editor

Annette Meza is 18 years old and was born and raised in Liberal, Kansas. She graduated from Liberal High School and plans to attend SCCC for two years...