Is a college degree worth it?

Annette Meza

Earning a college degree is more than just studying and passing classes. It’s about time and effort, but only you can decide your future career path. (Photo illustration)

Michelle Mattich, Managing Editor

To earn a college degree, it takes more than just studying. It takes up time and money which sparks the question, is it even worth it? The answer is not easy. Depending on the person’s career path and training requirement, there is a lot at stake when it comes to choosing the right path for you.

“Work is changing, automation is gonna change us. Being good at your job is necessary. Being open to training and learning something you haven’t before, are the basis of skills need to gain that experience in the job field.” Annette Hackbarth-Onson, dean of students, said.

According to the Pew Research Center, about 56 percent of students earn degrees within six years. Completion rate is a high 72.9 percent. While students are still going to school and maintaining a degree, it’s all about what degree you get.

“The specific engineering I chose is set up so that I can explore each type of engineering before I choose the one I want to pursue.” Adan Gomez, a freshman engineering major, said.

But sometimes a degree just doesn’t cut it, it’s about what you do outside of your degree that secures a job for you.

“A degree won’t secure a job but extra skills will help getting that desired career path.” Onson said.

Just having formal education doesn’t do it anymore. Having skills, doing side work, shadowing a professional and internships that show experience is what helps you with job security.

“I tell students to get involved in their education and put in extra time,” Onson said.

For some students, it’s all about what you get out of your education. “Even if you don’t get a career in your major, all that time studying helps you develop as a person,” Gomez said.

When it comes to choosing a career path it’s about learning the training and school requirements that will help you get the job and job expectancy.

Contact Annette Hackbarth-Onson in room 150 in the student success center for counseling and guidance upon career questions and more.