2019-20 Crusader staff perseveres through COVID

No one expected the 2019-20 school year to end like it did, campus closed and classes online due to the COVID-19 pandemic that hit the world. The Crusader staff quickly figured out how to be journalists in the face of the virus and how to keep students informed about a constantly changing plan.

The year started off strong with a large staff and a trip to the National Collegiate Media Conference in Washington DC. Students toured the nation’s capitol and attended workshops. They also found out the previous year’s staff won a coveted Pinnacle award for two-year websites.

Crusader staff found their niche on campus with reporting news and getting student opinions. An investigative piece, followed with an editorial, even helped change a dorm policy that favored students.

Despite the spring conference being canceled due to COVID-19, the staff won 33 individual awards at the Kansas Collegiate Media contest. Seward County Community College also swept the two-year Journalist of the Year competition, coming home with all three places: Annette Meza, first; Cheyenne Miller, second and Calen Moore, third. Crusader News was named All-Kansas for two-year news publications.

Four projects were named national finalists in 2020 and came home with honors from the National Collegiate Media Convention. Fifth place for the Pacemaker Best Social Media Reporting was awarded to Preston Burrows, Annette Meza, Cheyenne Miller and Calen Moore. Fifth place for the Pacemaker Best Photo Slideshow went to AJ Gomez, Calen Moore and Daniela Phaton. Honorable mention for the Pacemaker Best Feature Story was awarded to Cheyenne Miller. In the Pinacle award category of Best Profile Story, Calen Moore came home with an honorable mention.

Click on the photos to view the full photo gallery from 2019-20: