Barnes storms on from Seward to Providence

If anyone has left a mark on Lady Saints basketball in recent history, it’s Rachel Barnes. Barnes was one of only two forwards and one of only 10 picked for the first-team All-American team, and was the only player from the Jayhawk Conference to earn the the accolade. This past season, the Lady Saint sophomore was third in the country in scoring at 21.3 points per game and was less than .8 of a point per game from leading the entire country in scoring for the season. As well as leading the conference in scoring, Barnes also finished in the top four in the Jayhawk Conference in field goal percentage, free throw percentage and rebounds. Barnes chose Seward County out of high school because it was her home away from home. “I chose Seward because it had a nice athletic program and the academic program and it made me feel at home since I was so far away,” Barnes said. Barnes, a Connecticut native, signed her letter of intent to Providence College in Rhode Island Thursday afternoon. What most don’t know about Rachel is that at one time, softball was her love until, when she was 8, her mother got her started in basketball. “Once I started playing I didn’t want to stop,” Barnes said. “It was something that caught my interest and I fell in love with it, and softball went out the door,” Barnes said. Barnes at one time almost gave up on basketball, but her biggest motivator, her father, Edward Barnes, helped her see it through. “At the age of 14, my mom had passed away and that was one of the hardest thing for me and also my family,” Barnes said. “It hurt me to the point where I just didn’t want to play basketball anymore, but my dad was not having it, and I thank my dad so much for keeping my head on straight. Ever since then, whenever I play a game I would have a picture of my mother in my shoe with her name on it. With me having that, it gave me a sense of strength and determination. With my dad still being here with me is such a blessing and I want to thank him so much for everything that he has done for me. I love him so much, and I look up to him and respect him for everything that he has done.” Basketball is Barnes’ love, and she looks forward to the challenge of Division I basketball. “I chose Providence because I was looking for a challenge in basketball and this was the best fit for me,” Barnes said. “A lot of good competition that I know I will have to push myself and work harder and it is also close to home where my dad and family will be able to watch me.” Barnes seeks to play as long as she can and is thankful for the gifts she possesses. “My future plans are to play basketball for as long as God allows me to and to continue on with my education,” Barnes said. “I feel very blessed. My plan was to come here and do the best I could, and for me to break those records was an unbelievable feeling. It makes me want to push myself even harder to do better when I go off to Providence and break records there, too.”

Crusader photo/ Rustin Watt  Barnes, a Connecticut native, signed her letter of intent to Providence College in Rhode Island Thursday afternoon.
Crusader photo/ Rustin Watt
Barnes, a Connecticut native, signed her letter of intent to Providence College in Rhode Island Thursday afternoon.