Taking life for granted: Student’s view on suicide

When suicide is brought up an entire wave of emotions go over me. To me there is no reason people should ever want to take their own lives. No matter how bad it gets we should remember that someone somewhere else has it way worse than what we do or at least what we think we do. For a second could we just not be so selfish and think of ourselves? Maybe I’m being selfish by not understanding, but I don’t feel that I am only thinking of myself, I am thinking of all the people that person has just left behind. Why doesn’t the person committing suicide think about their family and friends and how this will affect them? Put aside that they will wonder why the person did it, but also how it ever got bad enough for them to want to. What possibly could go that wrong to make you want to kill yourself? Everyone has bad days and maybe even an abundance of them in a row, but no one ever said life was going to be a field of roses. I might not have the slightest idea of what that person was going through or how bad life really was, but I can tell you that they leave loss, hurt, pain, and confusion behind with family and friends. The loss comes in when they can’t see you everyday or talk to you everyday, then the hurt and pain comes in at the mere thought of the person they just lost, and the confusion come in when their loved ones try to understand why they did it and if there was anything that they could have done to prevent it. Even though I don’t know what they were going through, I do know what it’s like to have to deal with the pain of losing someone to suicide and I can tell you that there is nothing more frustrating than losing someone to suicide and not knowing when it got so bad they felt they needed to take their lives. We have seen in the news about Robin Williams’ suicide, which really caught a lot of people off guard. Williams seemed to be one of the happiest people, I mean he was always joking and laughing, he seemed to be the life of the party. How does someone that was loved by so many people and laughed so much want to take his life? I can’t tell you the answer and quite frankly no one can. They can give you their thoughts and theories, but no one can tell you exactly why. It’s confusing and upsetting to me that it takes a famous person to commit suicide in order for people to start talking about it or raise awareness. Of course, the awareness has been there, but we never see people standing on the corners holding up signs that read, “You are special,” “You are important,” “Someone loves you,” and others that are very similar, until someone famous dies. Even though I don’t agree with suicide, it doesn’t mean that I agree with the fact that when a famous person passes away then that is when we should really start raising the awareness. I feel that if people are going to raise awareness when someone famous dies then they should raise awareness daily for everyone else. Another point of view that I see when it comes to suicide is how someone can honestly want to take his or her life, I know I have stated this before, but I resent people who commit suicide and for a good reason. That reason being, people who have passed away due to old age, car wrecks, or health reasons didn’t get to just give up or decide to die one day, their lives were taken from them. However, someone who is going to commit suicide or has committed suicide decide that, they took their life, and it was their choice. Don’t get me wrong, I understand that other things play into people dying from natural causes and not suicide, but it’s frustrating that someone who did die from natural causes didn’t have the choice, but someone who commits suicide clearly does. They have the choice to continue to live their lives to the fullest, and do anything and everything that they could possibly want to do, where those who died from natural causes didn’t get that choice. The confusing thing to me that I will never understand is how someone could get that lonely to have the thought of taking his or her own life. They might feel alone and feel like there is no one to talk to, but obviously there is if they are leaving people behind to deal with the emotions.