Lady Saints ease past Conquistadors

The Lady Saints defeated  the Dodge City Conquistadors on Wednesday, September 12, with a score of 3-0.

The Lady Saints defeated the Dodge City Conquistadors on Wednesday, September 12, with a score of 3-0.

Alondra Botello

Alondra Botello

The Seward County Community College Lady Saints struggled with missed serves, yet still managed to beat Dodge City Community College in the Greenhouse on Wednesday, September 12.

The Lady Saints managed to go only to three sets to take down Dodge City Community College 3-0 (25-9. 25-14, 25-20). With the win, the Lady Saints improve to 6-2 (.750) overall and 4-0 (1.000) conference.

“We started out the way we wanted to. The girls started getting frustrated with missing the serves and it started affecting them mentally. We will be working on getting tougher as the season progresses,” Head coach Tony Trifonov said.

In every huddle, Trifonov tried to keep the Lady Saints focused and on track. It seemed to work as Sophomore Middle, Luz Sierra and Freshman Setter, Laura De Pra had an amazing block battle against the Conqs.

Part of the focus problem might have been the let down after upsetting Hutchinson Community College at Hutchinson, Kansas last week. But the Seward County Lady Saints returned to the Greenhouse and eliminated another opponent to keep the conference win streak at 6-0.

Alondra Botello
Freshman setter, Laura De Pra serves to the Lady Conqs. The Lady Saints struggled with missed serves, but still managed to defeat DCCC in three sets.

The Lady Saints have high goals as a team this season to try and win a title. Sophomore Right Side, Giovanna Tapigliani said that this year’s goal is ‘to go to Nationals.’

“Last year we had a good team and this year I think we can receive the NJCAA Championship Title by growing up and getting better by concentrating and working together as a team,” Tapigliani said.

During the first match, the highlights were: Sophomore Outside, Djuly Schmorantz had a serving streak of eight. Tapigliani had two strong kills and Freshman Outside, Tapanga Johnson hit three to the ground, which finished the first set and the match, 25-9.

The second match against DCCC was an eye-watcher match, there were a lot of good volleys. Even though Seward had tough passes, as well as serves off the mark, they still outlasted the Conqs in the battle. Dodge City’s Freshman Outside, Madi Spencer attempted a hit, but the ball went out , allowing the Lady Saints to win set two, 25-14.

Alondra Botello
Sophomore libero, Nathiellen Machado back sets to a Lady Saint outside hitter. The Lady Saints will head to Las Vegas, Nevada to play in the Lady Coyote Volleyball Invitational over the weekend.

In the final match, the Conqs put up a fight making the whole game interesting. The Lady Conqs had good hits against the Lady Saints, which cut the lead, with the Lady Conqs trailing behind.

Schmorantz had some great soft hits that the Conqs could not get to, expanding the lead, 11-6. Before DCCC’s good defense allowed them to trail by only four points, 14-12. The Lady Saints called a timeout and right after returning to the floor, Sierra killed the ball and won the final set and match, 25-20, 3-1.

Trifonov said as they prepare for their next part of the season, he wants ‘revenge’ on Salt Lake City for an earlier loss. But first, the Lady Saints have to fix their errors and get better by growing up and playing better against the teams in the conference.

The Lady Saints will head to Las Vegas, Nevada to play in the Lady Coyote Volleyball Invitational on Friday, September 14 and Saturday, September 15.

Monica Gonzalez, Photographer

Monica Ivette Gonzalez is 18 years old. She was the youngest to graduate in her Moscow High School class. She was born in Lakin but has lived in Moscow...

Alondra Botello, Reporter

Alondra Botello was born in Houston, Texas and moved to Kansas when she was 10. She has traveled to California and Las Vegas. She loves to cruise with...

1 Comment

One Response to “Lady Saints ease past Conquistadors”

1. Aracely on September 13th, 2018 3:14 pm

What a great article Mony you did an amazing job keep it up the good work so proud of you love you!!!

• Lady Saints ease past Conquistadors

Sports

Lady Saints prepare for National semifinals

• Lady Saints ease past Conquistadors

UpClose

Gissella Garcia

• Lady Saints ease past Conquistadors

Opinion

Do you know what Mental Health is?

• Lady Saints ease past Conquistadors

Multimedia

Traditional Thanksgiving means different foods for different people

• Lady Saints ease past Conquistadors

Entertainment

Novio Boy comes to SCCC

• Lady Saints ease past Conquistadors

Opinion

Push your way through finals

• Lady Saints ease past Conquistadors

Choir competes in annual auditions

• Lady Saints ease past Conquistadors

Sports

Lady Saints score six All-Conference awards

• Lady Saints ease past Conquistadors

Phi Beta Lambda goes to New York City

• Lady Saints ease past Conquistadors

Sports

Roussett competes in Oracle ITA Fall Championships

Lady Saints ease past Conquistadors