Seward nursing students volunteer at health fair

Nursing students from Seward County College/Area Technical School volunteered to administer lab tests and exams for the general public at the 2013 Health Fair Saturday. Both Practical Nursing students and Associate Degree Nursing students were present at the event, as well as other Allied Health students. The PN students administered influenza injections during the event. Allied Health Director Veda King and IV Therapy instructor Jennifer Antrim were there to observe and assist the students when needed. “It was a good clinical experience for them to interact with that many people of the community,” said Mary Ruiz, SCCC/ ATS nursing instructor. The ADN students performed venipunctures on people for blood draws. A majority of ADN students volunteered to participate at the health fair. The ADN students received four hours of clinical for the IV Therapy course, according to Ruiz. Students also helped with blood sugar tests, eyesight, hearing tests, and blood pressures, assisted by former Allied Health Director Steve Hecox. The event began at 7 a.m. and was quickly busy with patients having blood work done. Others involved with the event included Southwest Medical Center, Advocare, insurances, and the police department, among others. “There was a good crowd. A lot of people took advantage,” Ruiz said.

Giovanna Baca, Miss Liberal and former SCCC/ATS student, gets her lungs checked by SCCC/ATS respiratory student Jose Vidal at the health fair Saturday.