College hosts Farm Education Day

Over 1,000 young students participated in the 22nd annual Farm Education Day on the campus of Seward County Community College/ Area Technical School according to agricultural coordinator Evan Winchester. The final count, of mostly kindergarten and first grade students, was 1,219. Farm Ed. Day gives young students a chance to learn about everything from compost to tractors to pigs. They spend approximately 45 minutes on campus visiting many different aspects of the farm. They are led and taught by students from the SCCC/ ATS agriculture department. There are children on campus nearly all day, starting at 8:30 a.m. and ending at around 2 p.m. The students are from local schools, mostly in the Liberal School district. Some preschools and christian schools also attend. Sophomore KayLonni Williams is one of the students that helped with Farm Ed. Day. She is from Liberal and remembers attending Farm Ed Day when she was in elementary school. She now appreciates all the work that is put into it. “I got to figure out how much everyone has to do,” Williams said. Williams differs from most of the elementary students who attend Farm Ed. Day because she knew many of the students involved and they were using her animals. This year five agriculture students and the ag. instructor from Southwestern Heights High School also helped to lead and teach the students. Also helping out was the Kansas State University Cooperative Extension Service and the Natural Resource Conservation Service. Many of the exhibits were provided by Seward County Farm Bureau members. “Farm Education Day is a cooperative effort between SCCC/ ATS and Seward County Farm Bureau,” Winchester said. Every year the Development Foundation is presented with a check from the Seward County Farm Bureau during Farm Education Day. This year the check exceeded the usual amount. “It was a lot of fun,” Williams said. “I hope that it’s as good as it was this year, next year.”

Crusader photo/ Chelsi Valdez  Freshman Jordan Eder talks to a group of 24 students about where eggs come from during Farm Education Day on March 24. Over 1,219 elementary students from around the area were on campus for Farm Ed. Day. The Development received a check for $800 from Seward County Farm Bureau during Farm Ed. Day. The Farm Bureau helps with presentations during the day.
Crusader photo/ Chelsi Valdez
Freshman Jordan Eder talks to a group of 24 students about where eggs come from during Farm Education Day on March 24. Over 1,219 elementary students from around the area were on campus for Farm Ed. Day. The Development received a check for $800 from Seward County Farm Bureau during Farm Ed. Day. The Farm Bureau helps with presentations during the day.