Saints win close one

Robert Forks

Mohamed Selmi, sophomore center from Tunis, Tunisia, goes up with a teammate to defend the rim. (file photo)

Monica Gonzalez, Reporter

The game against Garden City was kept fans out of their seats, especially at the end. The Seward County Community College Saints came away with the thrilling win of 75-74.

The Broncbusters started out with a 6-0 lead, not letting the Saints score. Seward trailed behind to make it 11-0 while in a five-minute drought they couldn’t even hit the boards. After 10 minutes, the Saints scored 11 points to finally get into the ball game.

The Broncbusters came out of the media timeout making all of their free throws to take an 11 point lead. With three minutes left in the half, the Saints caught up by 10 points and putting the score at 25-23. The Broncbusters refused to let the Saints take the lead and ended the half with a score of 34-30.

During the second half of the game, the Saints stayed head-to-head with the Broncbusters. While the Broncbusters had some turnovers Isiah Smalls, forward from Jersey City, New Jersey, stole the ball and passed it to Qaiyoom Olanlege, guard from Brooklyn, New York, for a slam dunk that got the crowd standing on its feet.

Coming out of the media break the Saints had a two-point lead, but the Broncbusters refused to let them be the only one scoring. Garden City’s Jakobi Person drilled a three with three seconds left to make it a one-point game. The Saints got the rebound to find Reggie Miller wide open for him to keep the ball until the buzzer went off getting a victory of 75-74 against the Broncbusters.

The No. 17 Saints will be back in action Feb. 9 at 8 p.m. in the Greenhouse.