Board tours math lab, hears bus plans

Board tours math lab, hears bus plans

The Board of Trustees toured the new math lab and received information on routes for city buses at the Aug. 30 meeting. The board toured the library and the new math lab funded through the United States Department of Education STEM grant for science, technology, engineering and math. The lab is located at the south end of the library and consists of a glass panel wall, student workstations, computer desks and an instructor teaching station. The move to more digitized resource materials in the library has enabled the addition of the math lab to the library. The math lab is also adjacent to the Academic Achievement Center, which allows for increased access to peer tutors and other academic assistance provided by college personnel. Rhonda Kinser, director of the Student Support Services, gave a status report of the TRiO SSS grant through the United States Department of Education. The goal of the grant is to encourage first-generation and/or low-income students to graduate with a bachelor’s degree. Students accepted into the TRiO program have to show an academic need as well. SSS grant staff encourages students to first obtain an associate’s degree and then transfer into a bachelor’s program. Seventy percent of the 160 students allowed in the program must be retained; 85 percent must stay in good academic standing; 40 percent must graduate and at least 15 must transfer. “The college has met or exceeded these expectations,” Kinser said. Out of the 160 students allowed in the program, 105 are first generation, 85 Hispanic or Latino, and most are 18-21 years old. The quality check-up visit for the Academic Quality Improvement Program is scheduled for Sept. 24-25. AQIP is the accrediting process through the North Central Association of the Higher Learning Commission for SCCC/ATS. “This is the first accreditation visit since the college began the AQIP program,” said Cynthia Rapp, dean of academic affairs. “The new city bus route will pick up and drop off at the main campus of SCCC/ATS, as well as the Area Technical School,” said Dennis Sander, dean of finance and operations. The bus route will run from 6 a.m.-6 p.m. n For the full Board of Trustees report, go to sccc.edu.