Watt kicks-off next stage

It was a cold Saturday afternoon at the Burial Grounds when sophomore Rustin Watt ran 25 yards in an option play for his first playoff touchdown against Topeka Seaman in the first round playoff. “Rustin’s work effort and desire as a sophomore was unlike any other I had seen that year, and to do as well as he did on the first play of his high school playoff debut was great,” said Coach Steve Warner, former coach of the Liberal High School Redskin football program. Watt continued as starting quarterback for the Redskins until he tore his Labrum shoulder ligament as a senior. He went on to play football at Fort Scott Community College, but once again tore the shoulder ligament as a college freshman. That’s when Watt signed out of football for a while, returned to Seward County Community College, and became sports editor of the Crusader. In his role as a spectator, Watt said he enjoyed Saints basketball. “I’ve watched Saints games since I was a little kid,” Watt said. “It took a lot of work, but I learned a lot about gathering information and developing my writing skills which I can use at my future profession of being a lawyer.”  Watt is the son of Earl and Heather Watt, and has been part of the Liberal community all of his life. He was active in many sports in and out of school including football, baseball, Mid-America Youth basketball, wrestling and track. Watt plans on continuing his education and football career at Hutchinson Community College next fall and hopes to transfer to Washburn or Colorado University to continue playing and working on his law degree. “ Coach Warner always inspired me on the field by saying that no matter what we accomplished on the field, our next effort will always be the most important.” Watt said. Watt feels the quote reminds him that he always has another chance and should never be overcome by adversity. “Every sport that I participated in was to help me achieve my ultimate potential as a football player,” Watt said. Aside from sports, Watt engages in politics and is a metal enthusiast, enjoying bands and attending concerts such as Hatebreed, original Korn, Static X, Trivium, MegaDeath, Slayer, Marlyn Manson, White Chapel and Black Dahlia Murder. In his time at Seward, Watt got his first taste of being “just” a student and not a student athlete. “No matter who you are or what you do, everyday will test you in some way.” Watt said. “Whether good or bad, learn from it, overcome it, and keep on pushing forward and remain steadfast.”

Crusader photo/ Joseph Hoffman
Crusader photo/ Joseph Hoffman