Fiesta Nearing

The second annual Spring Fiesta hosted by Seward County Community College/ Area Technical School will merge with the Custom Car Show to provide festivities on both campuses for the community from 1-5 p.m. April 19. After this, the college will close the event to the public and have the activities open just for SCCC/ATS students to make sure that they have the opportunity to take advantage of the activities. Last year’s attendance was higher than expected. Due to this, the committee for the Spring Fiesta and Custom Car Show is planning on having more help at the event. The focus of the Spring Fiesta and Custom Car Show is the community. Once again the college is really targeting the hispanic part of the community. “It is about us as a community and our community members,” said J.R. Doney, director of marketing. Clubs on campus are being encouraged to sign up to help with the booths for the games and food. Anyone who is interested in helping should contact Wade Lyon. Making sure that there is enough people to help is one of admissions coordinator Jessica Murphy’s concerns. Murphy knows that they will have the help of their ambassadors, but she encourages the clubs to get involved. Doney also wants to make sure that students know they are an important part of the day as well. “I want the students to understand the importance of our college and how important they are to the community.” Some of the games from last year will be available again this year, however new ones will also be provided. The activities include a soccer kick, pingpong toss, alligator toss, potato bag and 3-legged races, Mexican bingo, bean bag toss, bottle tower, coloring table, tattoos and face painting, tug-of-war and nail painting. Inflatables will include the bungee run, human spheres, trikes and moon walks. Plans for this year are similar to last year. Activities will be spread between the center of the main campus and the technical school site. Games will be located on the main campus and the Custom Car Show will be on the technical campus. Select activities will take place inside and tours of the campus will be available. The technical school will have an open house so that students can show their friends and families what they are working on. “The college is important to the community and the community is important to the college,” Doney said.