Saints fall to Lamar

Saints fall to Lamar

CJ Fernelius dodges an inside pitch and barely misses getting hit.  The sophomore catcher has hit five times for the whole season. His batting average for the season is .263.

CJ Fernelius dodges an inside pitch and barely misses getting hit. The sophomore catcher has hit five times for the whole season. His batting average for the season is .263.

Annette Meza

Annette Meza

Annette Meza

Annette Meza, Copy Editor

The Seward Saints played against Lamar, Colorado on March 26 at our home field. The Saints played a 9 inning game, losing 13-12.

Seward made a comeback with a rally in the seventh inning, scoring four runs, then they held Lamar scoreless for the final two innings while the Saints rally continued in the eighth inning, scoring three more.

In the bottom of the ninth, the Saints came up short with only one run when they needed three.

The Saints will take the field again on Thursday against Barton Community College for a double header that starts at 1 p.m.

• Sliding across home plate, Benny Ayala scores a run for the Saints midway through the nine inning game.

• Rene Ramirez II throws hard to the plate. The freshman pitcher has thrown seven innings in relief this semester.

• Joe Kuhn smashes the ball and sends it to left field. The red shirt sophomore has hit in six runs this season.

• The Saints catcher throws the ball back to the pitcher after digging it out of the dirt.

• Showing the strain of pitching on his face, Rene Ramirez II grunts as he releases the ball. Ramirez has appeared in 7 games this season. He came in as relief against Lamar, Colorado in the nine inning game.

• Cayde Ward, sophomore from Fort Worth, Texas, hits a foul ball. The Saints’ first baseman makes his presence known at the plate in most games.

• Hitting behind the runner, Zane Alexander drives the ball between first and second base. The freshman outfielder helps the Saints out by getting on base often. His on base percentage is .444.