The Lady Saints play double header against Otero

Daniela Carmona

Jaci Oakley, freshman infielder, pops a shallow fly ball between third and left field for her first hit of the game April 3, against Otero Junior College. The Lady Saints split the doubleheader losing the first game, 3-7, but won the second, 10-5.

Annette Meza, Copy Editor

The Lady Saints played against Otero Junior College on April 3. The Lady saints played a double header, losing the first, 3-7, and winning the second, 10-5. The Lady Saints are now 8-19 overall but 4-2 in conference.

During game one, the Lady Saints took a quick lead in the first inning with a homer by freshman Dazy Gomez that also drove in a run. By the second inning, Otero scored one run and later tied the Lady Saints in the fourth inning. The Lady Saints managed to push ahead in the fifth inning by one but their opponents rallied and pushed ahead.

The Saints tried to come back by the sixth inning by scoring one more run. Otero rallied for three more runs in the top of the seventh inning. The Lady Saints ended the game with a loss, 3-7.

In game two, The Lady Saints came back strong and beat Otero 10-5.

The team took the lead in the bottom of the second inning, bringing in seven runs. They slowly but surely increased the lead, scoring one or two runs each time when they were up to bat. They came away with 11 hits for the game, but scoring 10 runs.

Freshman Emily Mojica, hit a home run for the Lady Saints and sophomore Nicole Nelson stole a base. Sophomore Jordan Cordrey came away with the pitching win. Cordrey dominated the strike zone with 13 strikeouts and 6 hits, only one of them being a home run.